Help! Weird issue with Zero and MKIII
Feb 13, 2009 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Lunchbox2

100+ Head-Fier
So I just bought a Zero DAC off ebay, and it arrived yesterday. I have optical out from my desktop to the Zero, and from there the zero is connected to a little dot MKIII headphone amp. The thing is, the music plays at the same volume out of the MKIII no matter what. Even if the amp is off. When its on, the volume doesn't seem to do anything either, the music stays at the same level. What in the world is going on? Why is the music still playing through the phones if the amp is off but the zero is on? The pre-amp button isn't light on the zero either...what the heck! Help! I'm a little worried...

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 10
I plugged them in to the inputs. I'm not really sure what to do at this point...anyone with similar experiences?

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 10
Does each one work fine on it's own? That really sounds like the Zero is plugged into the output of the LD. Does it make any difference when you press the preamp button?

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 10
*NOTE* I have an update for all Zero users. Thanks to other Zero users, the true "pre-amp" function (a volume controlled output feature) has been found.
If you press the button for Phones and the green light comes on, this means that "IF" a headphone is plugged in, the volume knob works for the headphone amp. If you don't plug in a headphone and the green light is on, the volume knob works for the DAC output! It was discovered by accident. If you need further clarification, don't hesitate to PM me directly. Thanks!! Penchum.

This is an excerpt from Penchum's own review of the Zero DAC and the reason i bought mine. This guy did an excellent review IMO.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 10
Lunchbox this happened to me as well - make sure your inputs are correct (even if they're in the right jacks, move them over and try them in the others just to be sure - you never know) and make sure your jumpers AND gain switches are set properly.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 10
It looks like I was a fool and thought the second pair of jacks were the input...I'm sorry to waste your time! But at least everything is alright.

Feb 14, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 10
I've been there my friend! At least all is well now! Enjoy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back