help! weird amp noise from new tubes
Oct 22, 2009 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hvu

100+ Head-Fier
I just got new 396a WE tubes for my Tu-882 amp.
When I plug in the headphones, tap on the case "not the tubes" or tap on the table that the tubes sits on I get weird pinging noise like when you hit a metal pipe with a stick.
Are my tubes broken?

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 7
They are microphonic, and no they aren't broken. This is common among tubes and it's just them vibrating and creating noises. You could try tube dampers on them and this should help. If not you should return them for new ones.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 7
Rule No. 1 about Tube Club : Patience!
Tubes often howl, whistle, click, clunk and humm when you just put them in - so the best thing is not to worry, drop them in, and leave them to get used to there new home. If after 24 hours of running they are no better, then you should consider further action, tube dampers can be helpful etc; but best not to panic, give them time.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 7
Those tubes are microphonic for sure, that doesn't mean the tubes are "bad". ALL tubes are microphonic; it is just a question of degrees. If the tubes are not otherwise noisy, and it doesn't bother you when you listen to music, then it might not be worth worrying about.

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks you for the replies.
This is my first tube amp and first time experiencing microphonics so I'm guess I'm paranoid but I am enjoying them now
beyersmile.png

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 7
Also some tubes are have constant noise, I had a pair of Mullard do that, but after about 10 hours the noise are gone untill I change them next time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back