Help wanted ! Decision to get or not to get :)
Nov 25, 2019 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

faqmix

New Head-Fier
Hi there, I am making this post regarding my decision on getting beyerdynamic dt770 pros.(recently i have bought steelseries arctis 5 but they sound like phone in a bucket.)
We are kinda exchanging early Christmas gifts with my friend :)
He chose dt 880 (they are having a sweet black friday discount on beyerdynamic website ). but I am really into closed headphones since I don't have such big personal space to be using open-back headphones so i started researching on dt 770 pros. All the reviews i have looked into seems to take this headphone as a 'king' for gaming-music on our budget 130-160 euros.
Its a big problem i don't have an opportunity to go to physical store to try them out myself so here I am asking for your assistance. Some people say that they are not good for long sessions.
The headphones are gonna be only be used at home 90% of the time, and for me they must be both good at first person games where its really important to know where your enemy is but also good at playing music (I'm more into tracks with decent bass and voice
(just a couple random songs from playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7kxtIGaNpw

)
I am really open to all your suggestions. Especially people who use headphones for similar things.
Thanks !

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 2
Its a big problem i don't have an opportunity to go to physical store to try them out myself so here I am asking for your assistance.

The reality is that communicating sound via descriptive words is not always accurate, so you have to be able to accept that the exchange of information is very far from perfect. Even trying them out even to confirm isn't given the variables: the upstream equipment, the quality of the files, how they fit on each head, whether both have comparable hearing response, preferences, etc.

Some people say that they are not good for long sessions.

That depends on the fit on each individual's head, hair thickness and earlobe size+angle included.

On the upside, the DT 770 has a metal headband, so you while rigid it can be bent to fit unlike plastic that is either rigid and snaps or pliable but practically rubber.

The headphones are gonna be only be used at home 90% of the time, and for me they must be both good at first person games where its really important to know where your enemy is...

For the money, yes, it's good enough for immersion.

In broader terms and more specifically for competitive gaming with money at stake, no.

Note that even with an AKG K701 with wide and deep imaging it wouldn't work if you're only using stereo audio without depth perception in the sound. Much of it still depends on whether the game has built in headphone audio or you have a soundcard that can take a 5.0 chennel signal and convert it to stereo by using virtual surround instead of just the usual conversion as on HT receivers without Dolby Headphone.

Also even if you did have, say, an AKG K1000 with a good amp getting a signal off the best soundcard out there it's not going to magically help you become better. It's just that among players at any tier so long as their skills are comparable once you start adding such an audio set up that becomes an advantage. At the same time don't expect it to work like how movies and such portray hyper-sensitivity to stimuli or ninjas. A lot of people expect that this will result in something like an anime ninja or samurai suddenly opening his eyes wide, flash of light, and then zoom out lights on, there's a dead guy with a sword coming from behind already in two pieces falling to the floor; or that footsteps will always be absolutely easy to pin point when even in a warehouse with steel catwalks there's gunfire everywhere not to mention you're firing a virtual gun near your virtual avatar's head, meaning the audio from that will realistically be prominent over footsteps, unless footsteps are something like a giant robot landing outside then spinning around to shoot before jumping back up to fly and provide cover fire.

...but also good at playing music (I'm more into tracks with decent bass and voice
(just a couple random songs from playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7kxtIGaNpw

The elevated bass and less so treble response on the DT770 may either compensate for human hearing bias for the midrange or obscure it, so it's not easy to tell what it will sound like to you. That said, yes, you'll get bass, just that you can't expect that yes to mean it's absolutely what you want, on top of which adjusting the fit will affect the response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back