Help w/some quality testing please?
May 12, 2010 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

levlhed

100+ Head-Fier
Under the advice of some fellow members, it's been recommended that I do some resistance testing on a tube headphone amp I purchased off of everyone's favorite auction site before I turn it on.  I do own a little multimeter, but I haven't the foggiest idea what to do with it!  Can someone have a look at the attached schematic (from the seller) and give me some key points to test?

http://www.levlhed.com/6DJ86AS7amp.pdf

Here's my original thread on this amp:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/491415

Thank you!

May 13, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 4
Three things you need to know...
1) is there an internal ground connection to the mains safety ground input?
2) is there any high voltage on the outside parts?
3) is there any dc offset on the output?

1) is there an internal ground connection to the mains safety ground input?
Disconnect from the mains.
Wait 2 hours.
Remove the cover (presumably the bottom).
Look inside.
If in doubt take clear photographs and post here.

2) is there any high voltage on outside parts?
Answer question 1 first and assure yourself that all is safe.
Safely reattach cover.
Turn off on amp.
Turn off mains socket switch.
Ready fire extinguisher.
Plug mains cable into amp and then into mains.
Turn on amp at amp.
Stand back.
Turn on amp at mains. Cover mains switch. If any 'unusual noise' or smoke turn off mains switch immediately and disconnect lead from mains socket.
If all appears normal...
Use meter to check metal parts on outside of chassis for high voltage. First check meter is working. If working then set meter to high voltage range suitable for the amp under test. Attach one meter probe (conventionally the black) to mains ground. Use the other probe to probe the external metal parts. Do this one handedly. Keep the second hand behind your back (in this way fault current can not pass up your arm, across your chest and through your heart on it's way to ground via your other arm).
If there is voltage on external parts turn off mains socket switch immediately, disconnect from mains socket, and leave for two hours.

3) is there any dc offset on the output?
You are going to need a spare jack plug or an old set of 'phones that you don't mind putting at risk...
But do items 1 and 2 first, then we can discuss item 3.

: )

May 13, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 4
Thank you so much!  I'm still waiting for delivery, but I'll make sure to run these tests as soon as I get it!

I'll keep you posted.

May 15, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 4
Could someone look at the pics I posted in my my original thread (linked in first post) and tell me if the caps/etc are really "audiophile"?
Because it appears the dude swapped the power supply on me and that has set off all kinds of red flags about this guy's honesty!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back