Help w/ Setup Purchase and ~$300-400 amp
Apr 28, 2006 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JMcMasterJ

500+ Head-Fier
Headphones:
I haven't owned a pair of full size headphones since I sold off my HD-650 and HF-1 to get my UE-10's. I've been wanting to get a new setup, but couldn't really afford one until now. I thought the HF-1 sounded fun, enjoyable, and forgiving, but the sound quality wasn't as impressive as the HD-650 on certain music. The two were completely different, but complimented each other well. I auditioned the Blue and Silver Dragon cables through a Dyhani and was more fascinated by the detail and clarity of the Silver Dragon cable, but ended up getting the Blue Dragon v2 because it was more well rounded and forgiving for my setup. I was waiting for the Silver Dragon v2 cable to come out because my HD-650's were too dark, but it didn't. The UE-10's are very nice and I enjoy the neutral, balanced sound, but I miss soundstage and other things that full size headphones produce. I am interested in trying the K701 because they seem to be in between the Grados and Senns. I enjoy detail and clarity, but also warm and smooth rather than cold and dry. So my headphone of choice to buy right now is the K701. I'll see if I like them and if not I'll get some HD-600's.

Source: I just bought an iriver h140 for portable use because I was pretty set on buying the micro stack. I really enjoyed my micro dac when I had it and I am pretty sure that I want to buy another one. The only thing I wish it had is rca outputs in addition to the 1/8" jack. Other source recommendations are also welcome.

Amp: I was especially interested in buying the HR micro amp since they upraded the module. With the micro stack I would have a nice transportable rig that I could use with the h140 and my laptop. The only thing that is holding me back is that I am really interested in tubes. Most quality tube amps are too expensive for me at the moment, but the mapletree ear and especially the Bottlehead sex amp seem like great deals and would be fun to build. I don't really need a transportable rig because the UE-10's sound great without amping. Should I just get the micro stack or try out a tube amp? Which would be better for the K701?

I enjoy classic rock, reggae, rap, r&b, 80's pop, but I listen to jazz and singer/songwriter acoustic music the most with headphones. Some of my favorite artists are Diana Krall, Alison Krauss, Damien Rice, and Prince.

So my rig would either be:

h140/laptop -> micro dac -> micro amp (desktop) -> K701

or

h140/laptop -> micro dac -> bottlehead/mapletree (or other tube amp) -> K701

Ok I'm done. What would you recommend for the best performace for the price?

Apr 28, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 16
anyone?
confused.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 16
M^3.

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
M^3.

Seconded. It's not a tube amp though.

If you really want a tube amp, try the WooAudio 3. It's $70 over your budget, so if you can stretch it, thats what I would recommend for a tube amp.

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 16
Thanks. I'm interested in the M^3 if it's the better sounding amp for the price even though it's SS. What is the sound signature of it? How does it sound with the K701? What builder do you recommend? Which upgrades are the best? I'd be willing to stretch my budget
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ
Thanks. I'm interested in the M^3 if it's the better sounding amp for the price even though it's SS. What is the sound signature of it? How does it sound with the K701? What builder do you recommend? Which upgrades are the best? I'd be willing to stretch my budget
very_evil_smiley.gif

Let this be known that I have not heard this amp. I only suggested it because it seems to be a pretty good value, and I am also thinking about this amp.

You could check headwise for more info. You can also check the website for this amp, http://www.amb.org/audio/mmm/
You could either have a DIY'er to build you one, or you can talk to Rockhopper (aka Thrice). At Rockhopper, the basic starts at $299. If you already want to raise your budget, the simplest upgrade would be a STEPS power supply. After that, you can try op-amp upgrades and if you want to spend even more money than that you can try some Blackgate caps...
evil_smiley.gif

Here's the website so you can choose for yourself, http://www.rockhopperaudio.com/
You could also try PM'ing a few builders here for prices. If you are still intrested in tubes, I would again recommend looking into the Woo3. Good Luck.

May 1, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ggta
Why not a Dynahi?

But is it really superior to an M^3?
confused.gif

Those are in TOTALLY different price ranges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ
I ended up getting a Woo Audio 3

That's a good choice. You might want to try changing the stock tubes.

May 1, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
That's a good choice. You might want to try changing the stock tubes.

I bought the one in the FS forum with upgraded tubes. It'll be interesting comparing the different tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 16
Now I'm having trouble deciding if I really want to get the Micro DAC or not, lol. I think I will, but I am very tempted by other DACs and cd players in the same price range or a little more. The Micro DAC is so damn convenient, but the possible sound upgrades of the other options are making my wallet hurt.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back