Help using the Modi 2 uber/magni 2 uber
Jul 7, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #31 of 35
Yes, the gain switch is on high. I'll try emailing Schiit audio, and see what they say. The audio just sounds way better and louder on my motherboard's Realtek HD audio. I barely have to crank up the volume.

Just note that volume control travel vs Windows volume control are not comparable, ie 50% on both aren't the same output level.

On that note, when using the Modi2 Uber and Magni2, do you have Windows at 100%? Because you're supposed to have Windows volume control, music player/YouTube/Spotify volume control all at 100% when using an external decoder, otherwise there will still be digital volume control. The Modi2 normally locks Windows at 100% when using USB but it might not work the same way on all computers and won't at all when using SPDIF. Master control will be the Magni's volume knob.

On a side note: Are there any PC soundcards that compare or dac/amps?

Compare to what? The Magni/Modi? The Magni runs more power through its circuit from the wall so assuming the same topology you'd be hard-pressed to find anything if you're looking for more output power. The soundcard is basically a GTX 1050 running off the PCI-Ex slot that gets power off the 24pin to the motherboard (quite literally - it's just running off of that) while the Magni is like a GTX 1080Ti Kingpin or Lightning with 8+8pin power connectors and 10+2 power phase by comparison. Not that 75watts of PCI-E power is the actual limit - soundcards are also running a DSP chip and even then typically don't draw 75watts (they're not even using the same kind of PCI-E slot as graphics cards).

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #32 of 35
Yes the volume is set to 100% in windows. To be honest, when my headphones are connected to the back of my motherboard I barely have to move the volume button past 10% to hear music at a really good sound on Spotify on my headphones. Also, I don't know if this makes a difference but my monolith 1060 have Impedance of 50 ohms.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #33 of 35
Yes the volume is set to 100% in windows.

And Spotify, YouTube, Foobar, etc, and you only move the Magni2's volume control? Check the motherboard's audio suite if you're using SPDIF since the volume control there might have its own setting independent of where you set the system.

To be honest, when my headphones are connected to the back of my motherboard I barely have to move the volume button past 10% to hear music at a really good sound on Spotify on my headphones. Also, I don't know if this makes a difference but my monolith 1060 have Impedance of 50 ohms.

Again, barely moving the Windows slider when using the motherboard is a function of its gain, or the strength of the input signal. If you can otherwise get to a loud volume on the Magni2 it doesn't matter how far the volume knob has to move. Since you can't then likely something is broken somewhere.

Use a 3.5mm to RCA cable and hook up the motherboard's FL/FR jack (green) directly to the Magni2. If it works better then the Modi is malfunctioning - either it's broken outright. Try the other digital inputs on it - if you're using SPDIF switch over to USB. If it works fine, open up the motherboard's audio suite - maybe the volume control via SPDIF is lower there. Try all USB ports. If it still doesn't work with any of these then the problem is with the output of the Modi or the Magni. You'll have to try them on a different computer and see if they'll work normally.

If you have an Android smartphone and a USB OTG adapter check if it works with the Modi2, hook them up and see if that works normally (set the smartphone volume control to max also).

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #35 of 35
For what the volume should set to 100% in windows?

Windows and player apps should be set 100% if you're using digital output, then use the analogue potentiometer after that to control output.
WinVolume.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back