Help using the Modi 2 uber/magni 2 uber
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 35
But just out of curiosity, how would I incorporate a splitter? and which one do i get?

Splitter? RCA?USB?Other? How many other pieces of equipment are you trying to squeeze into the chain?

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #19 of 35
ok,so then what inputs does it have?

By analog input of soundbar your referring to the Aux? My soundbar does not have white and red RCA connectors in the back.

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #20 of 35
On the back of the soundbar you have these following remaining inputs.

1)optical in
2) usb (5v 0.5A)
3) Aux in
4) Hdmi in.

On the first page I included links that have pictures of my soundbar.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #21 of 35
The improvement you just said in V20 , can we feel that change even with normal in earphone ?

On the back of the soundbar you have these following remaining inputs.

1)optical in
2) usb (5v 0.5A)
3) Aux in
4) Hdmi in.

The AUX isnt RCA(red and white)? If no RCA input there isnt a way to from Magni Uber(MU2) to soundbar directly. If your TV has RCA inputs you could do it that way and then TV out to soundbar,but not sure how plugging headphones into MU2 would affect the TV audio...

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #22 of 35
The AUX isnt RCA(red and white)? If no RCA input there isnt a way to from Magni Uber(MU2) to soundbar directly. If your TV has RCA inputs you could do it that way and then TV out to soundbar,but not sure how plugging headphones into MU2 would affect the TV audio...

No. The aux in is 3mm headphone jack. Ill try to figure all this out when I get the schitt stack. Ill report back. I could always go the opitcal route.

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #23 of 35
IMHO your intended application of the Magni Uber 2 (MU2) is the weak link in this chain.Youre essentially trying to use a small HP amp in the manner of an AVR.
The MU2 has only one RCA output,whereas an AVR has several in/outputs.

My desktop setup is as follows:

laptop>Mojo(DAC)>1979 Kenwood Model Eleven GX>headphones+speakers+sub-woofer

18403833_10155614377900288_4198089724648383269_o.jpg

my home set-up is quite confusing:

A modern AVR
A vintage receiver
A tube speaker amp
A music server
TV
BluRay player
cable box
PS4
5.2 speakers
all tied together...the key is a receiver or modern AVR with multiple ins and outs.

There might be cheaper methods to tie it all together without getting into an AVR,but im not aware of it.

*EDIT*

Apparently there are RCA to HDMI converter boxes. i do not know how this would sound,if at all,so proceed with caution!In theory it could work.

Another option is finding a soundbar with RCA inputs.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #24 of 35
Hey guys. I need your help, so let me explain. So I just bought the Modi 2 uber/magni 2 uber along with Monolith M1060 Planar Headphones. I have a Samsung KS8000 TV that is connected to a Samsung soundbar via the Arc (HDMI) output. Just an FYI, my soundbar does have Aux and optical as well.

My Pc is connected to the Samsung tv as well. As of right now I have my sound coming out of the soundbar. Now my questions are, how do I incorporate the Modi 2 uber/magni 2 uber with my PC and soundbar? Is there anything else I need to buy to accomplish this task?

Connect the Preamp output of the Magni2 Uber to the Aux in of the soundbar. Just buy the appropriate cable if the Aux in is 3.5mm TRS.

And I wanna make sure there won't be any sound interference. For example, lets say if I'm playing something from my pc, and then I plug in the headphone. Or do I need some sort of switch? If I do, which one and how would I use it?

AFAIK, if you plug in a headphone the Magni2 Uber deactivates the preamp output.

My goal is to have the Amp help out the headphone and soundbar.

You won't be helping the soundbar in any way as long as you want to use the Magni2 Uber with it. You might even make it worse. DAC

For starters, the connection between the Magni2 Uber and the soundbar will be analogue. That's more likely to pick up interference than hooking it up via digital. It's not like it needs an analogue preamp to control the output - that soundbar probably has its own remote with volume control or can be controlled via the TV remote.

Second, while the Modi2 is very likely a better DAC than the one in the soundbar, it's not likely to do much good unless the DAC built into the soundbar just totally sucks that it has low voltage, high noise output. The channel separation of the Modi2 Uber isn't even going to improve anything since there is no physical channel separation in the soundbar itself, ie, the two channels on it are physically too close. That would be like if you had two conventional speakers placed 2in apart, and then you try to improve the soundstage by buying a different DAC rather than setting them 1m+++ apart with proper toe-in.

And I haven't received the Schiit Uber stack yet, I am still waiting on the shipment. I'm just preparing. On the back of my motherboard, I have usb 2.0 , 3.0 and spdif out port just if you were wondering.

Im just trying to see what the best optimal way to connects everything together was.

PC to Modi2 Uber via SPDIF or USB, Modi2 Uber to Magni2 Uber via RCA cables. Use SPDIF if you're using the DSP on the motherboard or the soundcard.

PC to HDTV via HDMI on the motherboard (GPU audio drivers can have conflicts with USB and SPDIF audio drivers), then HDTV to soundbar via HDMI ARC.

If you really want to burn calories by controlling the soundbar with the Magni2 Uber (since you now have to get up and move the knob, instead of using a remote), then hook up the Magni2 Uber's preamp output to the Aux In of the soundbar.

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #26 of 35
Sup guys. Just go my modi2/magni2 today. Why does my motherboard sound way better than the schiit uber stack? My monolith 1060 plugged directly into motherboard sounds louder and better. I barely have to turn up the sound on my PC, and it sounds loud. I don't know if it's because the headphones are really good or what's going on? I'm thinking about returning the schiit stack. Let me know what you guys think.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #27 of 35
Sup guys. Just go my modi2/magni2 today. Why does my motherboard sound way better than the schiit uber stack? My monolith 1060 plugged directly into motherboard sounds louder and better. I barely have to turn up the sound on my PC, and it sounds loud. I don't know if it's because the headphones are really good or what's going on? I'm thinking about returning the schiit stack. Let me know what you guys think.

1. Motherboard headphoone amp outputs tend to have higher low gain settings than low gain settings on headphone amps. Set the Magni2 Uber on high gain - there's a switch in the back.

2. If using USB, the Motherboard might not be supplying 5v to the Modi2. Try the Modi2 Uber on other USB ports or use SPDIF.

3. Either the Magni2 or Modi2 are DOA.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #29 of 35
No the magni/modi works fine. Its turns on and all.

My car's engine also turns on but the handbrake is stuck. Powering on isn't an outright indicator that it's working fine.

Did you try the gain switch on the Magni.

Maybe my motherboard soundcard is better?

I'd doubt that it's "better" in any other way than higher gain. The Magni supplies just about as much power as it can get out of that small form factor, and the motherboard

1. Doesn't even dedicate as much space to have several op-amps and larger capacitors as the Magni does for the discrete components. It's not like we're comparing a Chevy small block to a Mazda rotary engine with two turbos here (ie, the Mazda engine can kick out more usable power than the small block).

2. Doesn't even have a dedicated line to the power supply just for the audio section the way the Magni has its own PSU or the graphics card can have 8+8 PCIE connectors and 10+2 power phases.

That's not to say that any stand alone amp will automatically be better than the motherboard or the motherboard sucks, it's just that if you're comparing it to a decent amp like the Magni the most likely explanation for the louder output is higher gain. Which on some headphones will not improve how well it does when you pour all the available power onto it, it's just that in this case, you don't have to anyway.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #30 of 35
Yes, the gain switch is on high. I'll try emailing Schiit audio, and see what they say. The audio just sounds way better and louder on my motherboard's Realtek HD audio. I barely have to crank up the volume.

On a side note: Are there any PC soundcards that compare or dac/amps?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back