HELP: Using An Older Yamaha RX-V3000 w/ New Home Theater Gear
Jun 26, 2008 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
I own an older (6 years or so) Yamaha RX-V3000: RX-V3000

Being an older unit it does not have HDMI inputs or outputs. I am considering the purchase of a Samsung 46" LCD 1080p LN46A550 LCD TV - televisions SAMSUNG and a Panasonic DMP-BD30K both of which have HDMI as well as optical and component video.

I am very happy with the Yamaha RX-V300 and at this time I do not want to spend money on a new receiver just for the HDMI input/output. So the question is will I loose a lot of quality (video and sound) if I feed the RX-V3000 via an optical cable and component video versus HDMI? I would feed the Samsung 46" via component video.

Thanks.

Jun 26, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 5
why not just run video with hdmi directly to the TV and bypass the receiver completely leaving it only to handle sound?

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm in the same situation. I just bought a LN32A650 for the bedroom where I only have an older Denon AVR-2500 receiver. I run HDMI into the TV which has standard stereo RCA audio outs that run into the receiver.

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoxMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not just run video with hdmi directly to the TV and bypass the receiver completely leaving it only to handle sound?

So you are suggesting I send the video using HDMI to the TV and an optical cable to connect the blu-ray player with the receiver? If so then I would have to repeat w/ the cable box as well, correct? Thanks.

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoxMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just like MoxMonkey says and you could probably get away with component from your cable box if you want. Depends on what you will be watching. Then you would also run an optical cable from the box to the receiver.
so:
blu ray to tv- hdmi
blu ray to receiver- optical
cable box to tv- hdmi or component
cable box to receiver- optical.

you need to run video stuff through the receiver only if you absolutely have to. The only benefit from running hdmi to the receiver first would be to get the hd sound into it w/out using optical. But depending on the codec I think optical gets compressed and hdmi doesn't. But you probably wouldn't notice the difference unless you have golden ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back