Help Upgrading Sennheiser HD 518
Aug 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Siegfried2d

New Head-Fier
Hi there

I've recently decided to upgrade my Sennheiser HD 518. These cans were my first step into the "audiophile world" and after almost 2 years with them I've decided that open headphones are just not good for me, basically because it leaks so much sound and since I work at night at my house it is a problem for me...

So, I was wondering if you could help me decide which closed headphones are the right for me considering some aspects:

1) Closed headphones
2) They MUST be a significant improvement of my current HD 518 (I mean, I really want to note a difference)
3) The bass of the HD 518 was there, but...it's not just the right amount I was searching for. I'm not a basshead but I'm the kind of person that enjoys a good bass.
4) I know that generally closed cans lack soundstage, but headphones with a decent soundstage will definetly be a plus for me.

These are the under $200 headphones I was considering:

-Audio-Technica ATH-M50

-Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohms

-Shure SRH840

-Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear

That's it, I hope you can help me decide which to choose and, of course, if there are other models I should consider, please, let me know. 

Greetings!

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 10
Yeah ...get the Beyers , there will be a significant fidelity difference from the 518s 
The 770 rival some big headphones , in terms of grain and clarity I still have to find a closed back headphone which comes close to the 770 , they are a steal 

Aug 3, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 10
You should definitely be looking at the M50X's over the originals. There are some sound improvements (small, but they are there), and the X version not only comes with the detachable cable, but gives you three of them (straight, coiled, and short for portability).

However, there is essentially no soundstage to the M50's, so that could be a deal breaker.

Aug 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 10
I hope you can help me decide which to choose and, of course, if there are other models I should consider, please, let me know. 

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones.

Used ones on eBay for $149
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Professional-Audiophile-Grade-Closed-Back-Headphones-/321398976228?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4ad4df2ee4

I added Hifiman HE Velour ear pads, usually around $10+shipping.

Aug 3, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the responses guys but now I'm a little bit confused...I was leaning towards the ATH M50 and the beyers 770, but the 900x seems pretty good too. The problem is I live in Peru and I'm a little worried on getting second hand headphones, I definetly prefer brand new one since it will be less troublesome if something happens with the cans. Oh and I forgot to tell you I have a Fiio 07k and I'll be using them at my house 99% of the time. I listen all kind of music so this is not a concern.

Is there a lot of difference between the Beyer's 770 pro and the ATH 900x?

Thanks again :D

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #6 of 10
Bump?

Ok, so I've made my homework and read plenty of posts regarding those 2 cans (dt770 pro and ath a900x) but there are divided opinions and I'm still confused. 

All I want is an all arounder headphone with a decent bass (I already had neutral bass on my old cans) and nice soundstage. Basically I wanna buy something quite different but better than my old HD 518.

It seems these are my options right now:

Audio Technica ATH-A900X 

-I've read a lot of people having issues with the 3d wing, is it a problem?
-Does it has a decent bass or its just neutral? How is it compared to the other 2?

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms

-I think these are the more bassy of the 3, however, I'm not willing to sacrifice performance for more bass power.
-How are these compared to the other 2?

Audio-Technica ATH-M50

-These were my first option until I read their soundstage is almost non-existent
-Do they have a good bass compared to the other 2?

Audio Technica ATH PRO 700 MK2

???

Audio Technica ATH-A700 Headphones

????

Hope you can help me...

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 10
  Ok, so I've made my homework and read plenty of posts regarding those 2 cans (dt770 pro and ath a900x) but there are divided opinions and I'm still confused. 
All I want is an all arounder headphone with a decent bass (I already had neutral bass on my old cans) and nice sound stage. Basically I wanna buy something quite different but better than my old HD 518.
Hope you can help me...

As long as you have something decent to drive the DT770s, you should do alright with them.

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 10
The dt770 250 have significantly less base than the other versions (32, 80 and 600 ohm). You can do some reading on the subject using on site search function.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 10
get the 32 ohm DT770, best closed back headphones for bass under 200$ (on amazon)
but the mids and vocals are kinda sucked out compared to A900x, your choice.
they both have great soundstage.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 10
 As long as you have something decent to drive the DT770s, you should do alright with them.

I have the Fiio E07K, is it enough?
 The dt770 250 have significantly less base than the other versions (32, 80 and 600 ohm). You can do some reading on the subject using on site search function.

Thank you, I did not know that,  I've done some research but unfortunately the 32 ohm version is almost out of my budget ($189 on amazon)

get the 32 ohm DT770, best closed back headphones for bass under 200$ (on amazon)
but the mids and vocals are kinda sucked out compared to A900x, your choice.
they both have great soundstage.

Thanks for your response, as I said, the 32 ohm version is $189 and the 250 is $161 on amazon, I've read they are pretty similar, is it worth it to spend more for the 32 ohm version?

I think all comes down to these 2 models but considering only the DT770 pro 250 ohm and the A900x, do they have similar bass? Or the DT770 still has more power?

I'm not a bass head but I do want to feel some, I had enough neutral bass with my old cans but if the Bass presence of the A900x is noticeable I think I could choose them.

Any final words????

Greetings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back