Help upgrading my Shure E500
Feb 18, 2017 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kxanthop

Head-Fier
Hello headfiers!
I would like to upgrade my semi-portable rig consisting of the Geek out 100 and the Shure E500. Given the age of the earphones, I was thinking that I should start (and maybe end) with those. My budget is 250€ (could be stretched a bit) and I am open to any suggestion (in-ear, on-ear, open, closed, new, used etc) as long as it is within the budget and fits the bill sonically. I mostly listen to jazz (piano trios get the lion's' share) but I also enjoy classical and classic rock (all FLACs, >=16/44.1). As far as the sonic signature is concerned, I prefer a balanced presentation with good PRAt and soundstage. I favour the detailed sound but in a musical rather than clinical way.
So what I have been considering so far?
Used westone w4, used Shure 535, new LZ A4s, but also Hifiman H400i and Philips Fidelio X2. I have also considered upgrading my source to an ifi iDSD micro, a Resonesence Herus, a Meridian Explorer 2 or even a Chird Mojo. Does any of that make sense? What do you think I should do?
Many thanks!

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 4
Hello headfiers!
I would like to upgrade my semi-portable rig consisting of the Geek out 100 and the Shure E500. Given the age of the earphones, I was thinking that I should start (and maybe end) with those. My budget is 250€ (could be stretched a bit) and I am open to any suggestion (in-ear, on-ear, open, closed, new, used etc) as long as it is within the budget and fits the bill sonically. I mostly listen to jazz (piano trios get the lion's' share) but I also enjoy classical and classic rock (all FLACs, >=16/44.1). As far as the sonic signature is concerned, I prefer a balanced presentation with good PRAt and soundstage. I favour the detailed sound but in a musical rather than clinical way.
So what I have been considering so far?
Used westone w4, used Shure 535, new LZ A4s, but also Hifiman H400i and Philips Fidelio X2. I have also considered upgrading my source to an ifi iDSD micro, a Resonesence Herus, a Meridian Explorer 2 or even a Chird Mojo. Does any of that make sense? What do you think I should do?
Many thanks!

Upgrading headphones maximally gives the biggest improvement in a system's overall sound, generally speaking. Given your budget and your interest in the 400i (which is about $200 over budget), I would actually steer you toward the HE400S. It has a very similar sound signature to the 400i but has the benefit of being able to be used without an amp. It works straight out of a phone or DAP. It is an excellent choice for your listening tastes--it's really exquisite for piano and classical. It is a bit over budget, but may be within your grasp  (roughly $298.00 in the US). I think. Highly recommended.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi serman005. Many thanks for the input. The 400s were the ones I had shortlisted, need to edit my post. I don't mind getting them used, thus they should be comfortably within my budget. Do you think they would be a better choice than a pair of higher end In-ear monitors, e.g. the Shure 535s? Please keep in mind that this rig will be used indoors, thus the size and isolation are not really important parameters.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi serman005. Many thanks for the input. The 400s were the ones I had shortlisted, need to edit my post. I don't mind getting them used, thus they should be comfortably within my budget. Do you think they would be a better choice than a pair of higher end In-ear monitors, e.g. the Shure 535s? Please keep in mind that this rig will be used indoors, thus the size and isolation are not really important parameters.

Sure. Well, I always feel that whenever it is possible, going with an open headphone is best. It increases soundstage and often improves imaging and these two items combine to really improve the listening experience. So, yeah, I personally would go with the 400S. The 535 is very good, but you can imrprove your listening experience by going open, IMO. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back