Help upgrading from Schiit magni/modi to DAC/Amp allowing headphones AND speakers
Mar 26, 2014 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dakine234

New Head-Fier
Aloha and thanks in advance for any and all help!

I currently have a Schiit magni/modi combo and am looking to upgrade, I listen predominately to hip hop/rap, reggae, country and various soundcloud/mixtape artist but have all kinds of music in my library.  I use my speakers (audioengine A2s) and headphones (AIAIAI TMA-1) headphones daily, about 50% each, and this is where i would really like your help/advice.  I currently have an RCA splitter attached to my modi which splits the output from my DAC between the magni (to my TMA-1s) and the A2ʻs (hopefully diagram below helps a bit).  

Macbook pro w/bit perfect (usb) -----> Modi DAC (RCA splitter)-------->Magni Amp -----> AIAIAI TMA-1 headphones
                                                                                       L---------> Audioengine A2 speakers    

In order to use my speakers, I turn the Magni off and turn the speakers on.  If/when I want to switch to headphones, i turn off the speakers via volume knob and turn on the Magni (If i forget to turn off the speakers while the headphones are on, both just play simultaneously)  This has become annoying more than anything (A2 volume adjuster is on the back and a little out of the way), especially switching between the two and constantly adjusting volumes and turning on/off between the two.  I need help looking for a DAC and amp or DAC/amp combo that would allow me to switch between the two easily without totally turning off one or the other and having to constantly adjust/tune in my volume.  Iʻm still quite new to this and am pretty sure there are setups that fit my what im looking for, but would like any and all advice!  

Iʻve been looking at the maverick audio tubemagic D1 and the Audio gd Compass 2. If i understand this correctly, both of these have an USB in and RCA out, so I would connect my computer to the DAC/AMP via usb, and connect my A2ʻs via RCA out, and my headphones to the designated audio jack, and would simply use the selector knob to switch between the two?  Please feel free to correct me, im sure theres probably more to this.  These are only ones that ive found and im sure there are more options and am open to any setups within my price range ($400 - $500) that fit my description and might be better for my music genera or would produce better audio quality.  

Thank you very much for any and all help!  

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 5
Audio-GD NFB-11.32 external DAC/Amp, $340+shipping (I own the NFB-15.32 model).
Comes with line-out for speakers and a dedicated headphone amplifier with it's own jack.
They will not be back in stock for a few weeks.
http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1132/NFB11.32EN.htm

There is a thread dedicated to the NFB-11.32
http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-delivery-impression-thread

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the quick reply really appreciate it!  So in switching between the speakers and headphones (in this picture), all i would do is choose between the HP (headphones im guessing) and the fixed setting and it would switch between the two.  Like if i chose headphones while my speaker is still on, it would just switch to output only in my headphones correct?
Sorry for the question if its stupid, just wanna make sure iʻm understanding it correctly haha.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 5
  Thanks for the quick reply really appreciate it!  So in switching between the speakers and headphones (in this picture), all i would do is choose between the HP (headphones I'm guessing) and the fixed setting and it would switch between the two.  Like if i chose headphones while my speaker is still on, it would just switch to output only in my headphones correct?
Sorry for the question if its stupid, just wanna make sure iʻm understanding it correctly haha.

Technically it's a slightly different front panel from my NFB-15.32.
But it looks like the three different settings are "HP" for headphone output (headphone amplifier)
and the "Variable" and "Fixed" gives you two options on the line-output (speaker connection).

So you could leave your speakers turned on, but no audio would come out of them while switched to "HP".

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 5
Sounds like just what iʻm looking for.  Thank you very much, i really appreciate it!  Think im just gonna do some reading through that thread and look a little more.  
Btw, if you or anyone else reading this have any additional recommendations please post them as well!  Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back