HELP: /~*Upgrading amp/dac for hd800 *~\
May 10, 2019 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xdbvdbx

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am trying to upgrade my desktop setup from a porta-hybrid to dedicated and come seeking help.

---Current Setup---

I'm currently sourcing from my PC via USB 3.0 into the iFi lineup of
Micro iUSB 3.0 Power Supply Power Conditioner,
Gemini Dual-Headed USB Cable into Micro IDSD Black Label. I have a library of flac that I run through Foobar as well as stream via TIDAL and Spotify.

Although this setup sounds great for the original purpose I was using it for, it is really not akin to my sound preference.

---Original Purpose and Discovery---

I originally invested in a strong hybrid because I was using iems in addition to planar and dynamic bass heavy cans. I found that as time moved on I realized this was the opposite direction I wanted to go. Fast forward to the present and I've been through 10 or so headphones and landed on the OG Hd800 as my current endgame. To my surprise using my cheap Xduoo-XD-05 is a huge improvement in sound even as a $150 AIO. Ofc there are tradeoffs, but the priorities are hit better with it. I haven't ventured much into Hi-end AMP/DAC exploration but I know I want something that will suit my preference better, could be a sidestep or a step up. As long as it provides me with the correct sound.

---Taste---

To give a bit of insight into my personal taste, I'm that of a hyper-detailed and analytical thinker/listener. I have a compulsion for a clean and sterile sound, open airiness/separation, texture, detail, and speed, I do retain a taste for bass, but not so much in a fat, thick, or heavy way, but more of a textured, powerful, fast, and controlled sound.

My music is primarily very spatial acoustic and electronic music that is in the more experimental form. Heavy texturing, spacing, dynamics, and layering. One could say I listen to music as if its an ASMR experience. Everything from IDM, ambient techno, Berlin techno, glitch, synthwave, soundscape, OST, and bass/subbass music. Those of the experiences of being in an aircraft hanger, floating through space, and laying down in a forest, running through a digital world like TRON. I have a bit of synesthesia and see things like colors, geometries, and waves when listening.

I occasionally listen to rock, pop, jazz, classical and folk. Generally secondary and more as a break from my more analytical listening.

With the Hd800, I find the iFi micro to just be insanely warm and smooth. It shrouds with darkness that hides detail and shrinks the soundstage immensely. Resolution is smoothed over removing the sense of texture and everything just sounds lower quality to me. The features such as x-bass and 3d sound are slight improvements but ultimately fail to make most of my headphones/iems enjoyable.

The Xduoo-XD05 is so clean, fast, and precise in comparison. It has distortion at high volumes but gets loud enough for the HD800. The bass thumps, but it's controlled and doesn't bloat or bleed into mids, the treble might roll off a bit but provides good clarity and doesn't add sharpness. I honestly can't believe the sound that I get out of this little guy. I can't believe that this sounds so much better to me than the iFi, other than simply because of the coloration being the opposite of my taste.

---Final Thoughts---

I'm trying to find a ToTL setup that will satisfy me for a good while without destroying my bank. I'm in college and work insanely hard to earn money to fund this hobby.

Also, sorry for the wall of text. I'm just very particular and a tad bit insane. :gs1000smile:

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to try and help satisfy this endless desire of mine.

May 10, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 4
May 11, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 4
That Xduoo XD-05 is nice little DAC/amp :)
How about a hybrid headphone amplifier, connect it to the XD-05's line-output jack.
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-alex-cavalli-cth-tube-hybrid-amp

Thanks for the recommendation, I considered tube amps, but have been warned to stay away from them unless I'm willing to tube roll like crazy to find find the ideal sound. I've been recommended Lyr3 with Sylvania tubes before.

You're saying to us the Xduoo as a Dac out direct through aux cable into the CTH? I've heard that it was warm and wet sounding, that it doesn't really align with my taste. I would be interested in understanding the pairing more though.

May 11, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the recommendation, I considered tube amps, but have been warned to stay away from them unless I'm willing to tube roll like crazy to find find the ideal sound. I've been recommended Lyr3 with Sylvania tubes before.

You're saying to us the Xduoo as a Dac out direct through aux cable into the CTH? I've heard that it was warm and wet sounding, that it doesn't really align with my taste. I would be interested in understanding the pairing more though.
Lots of choice for headphone amplifiers, I just like to try to buy stuff of Massdrop, usually there is good bang for the buck stuff on that website.
I have a Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier, connected to the line-output of my Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp.
https://drop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se/reviews
Xduoo offers a tube head amp.
https://drop.com/buy/xduoo-ta-05-tube-headphone-amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back