Help understanding reciever vs amp/dac
Mar 6, 2019 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ironcobra80

New Head-Fier
Hi long time lurker here with a question involving powering my ATH-A900 cans. My current living situation has changed due to a nasty motorcycle accident and I am having to put my dolby atmos speakers away while i recover which could take a year or so. I am currently using my gaming pc to output via hdmi to my marantz sr 7010 and power my cans which to me sound really good most of the time. I tried the onboard audio of my asus crosshair vi vs my avr because the mobo had a lot of marketing terms saying how good it was at powering headphones for gaming. It took all of 2 seconds to see thru that. I was wondering if my avr is a good headphone solution or would a separate dac/amp be superior for gaming and movies. I am currently using windows 10 to output in atmos for headphones and really enjoy it for the couple games that support it(but it does not compare at all to the binaural audio of Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice). I don't listen to a lot of music so im not going down that road. Thanks for any advice for my situation.

Mar 6, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 15
Unless you want to jump head first into this hobby, or need something that works away from your home rig, I would not worry about getting a dedicated headphone amplifier. At this level of integrated hi-fi gear, you get good, discrete headphone amps, and the DAC is likely also high quality (easily better than any integrated sound card). You would need to spend serious money to get an appreciably better setup.

Mar 6, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 15
Unless you want to jump head first into this hobby, or need something that works away from your home rig, I would not worry about getting a dedicated headphone amplifier. At this level of integrated hi-fi gear, you get good, discrete headphone amps, and the DAC is likely also high quality (easily better than any integrated sound card). You would need to spend serious money to get an appreciably better setup.
Thats what I figured. I have no problem pursing the best sound possible for my cans but Im not sure any of dac/amps will clearly beat my marantz. Thanks for the quick reply!

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 15
Thats what I figured. I have no problem pursing the best sound possible for my cans but Im not sure any of dac/amps will clearly beat my marantz. Thanks for the quick reply!
Don’t have your Marantz but have a older Denon AVR-3110 CI and agree the headphone output is good but doesn’t work for all and most of my headphone amps sound better.. If you want a dac/amp the Schiit Jotunheim with a Multibit dac is one that I think is very good and just have it for a few more days on loan and have a Yggdrasil as my main dac.

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 15
Because most receivers use the same amplifiers to drive both the speakers and the headphones jack, a receiver's headphone jack is not the best choice for driving lower impedance (Ohm) headphones, like the 38-Ohm ATH-A900.
Hi long time lurker here with a question involving powering my ATH-A900 cans. My current living situation has changed due to a nasty motorcycle accident and I am having to put my Dolby Atmos speakers away while i recover which could take a year or so. I am currently using my gaming PC to output via HDMI to my Marantz sr 7010 and power my cans which to me sound really good most of the time. I tried the onboard audio of my Asus Crosshair vi vs my AVR because the mobo had a lot of marketing terms saying how good it was at powering headphones for gaming. It took all of 2 seconds to see thru that. I was wondering if my AVR is a good headphone solution or would a separate DAC/amp be superior for gaming and movies. I am currently using windows 10 to output in Atmos for headphones and really enjoy it for the couple games that support it(but it does not compare at all to the binaural audio of Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice). I don't listen to a lot of music so I'm not going down that road. Thanks for any advice for my situation.
For movie disks (DVD/Blu-ray) try the PC windows program Cyberlinks PowerDVD.
I'm guessing the Marantz's comes with a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) function, then the computer's motherboard's built in DAC function.
When the ATH-A900 (old model?) are plugged into the Marantz, do they sound more bassy, then when plugged directly into the PC's on-board audio?
I'm trying to figure out if your Marantz 7010 uses the speaker amplifiers to drive both the speakers and the headphone jack or if the 7010 comes with a separate built in dedicated headphone amplifier?
I think I would try and talk you into getting new headphones, for plugging into the Marantz, then buying a new DAC/amp.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 15
Because most receivers use the same amplifiers to drive both the speakers and the headphones jack, a receiver's headphone jack is not the best choice for driving lower impedance (Ohm) headphones, like the 38-Ohm ATH-A900.

For movie disks (DVD/Blu-ray) try the PC windows program Cyberlinks PowerDVD.
I'm guessing the Marantz's comes with a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) function, then the computer's motherboard's built in DAC function.
When the ATH-A900 (old model?) are plugged into the Marantz, do they sound more bassy, then when plugged directly into the PC's on-board audio?
I'm trying to figure out if your Marantz 7010 uses the speaker amplifiers to drive both the speakers and the headphone jack or if the 7010 comes with a separate built in dedicated headphone amplifier?
I think I would try and talk you into getting new headphones, for plugging into the Marantz, then buying a new DAC/amp.

I use mpc hc and madvr there is absolutely no sub for this on pc, mad vr is just amazing. Finding information on whether the headphone output on the avr is discrete or inline with the speakers is absolutely impossible I spent all day on this. The mobo im using https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/ I tried the onboard after reading how exciting they made it sound on that page under audio. The front panel which is recommended to use could barely power my cans? The marantz is the only time i get ear tingling bass out of them. My phone and mobo are really quiet. I bought the a900s many years ago based on all the good reviews for having a great soundstage for gaming. Im sure there is way better nowadays and im open for suggestions. They have to be as comfortable as the a900s though.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 15
Hi long time lurker here with a question involving powering my ATH-A900 cans. My current living situation has changed due to a nasty motorcycle accident and I am having to put my dolby atmos speakers away while i recover which could take a year or so. I am currently using my gaming pc to output via hdmi to my marantz sr 7010 and power my cans which to me sound really good most of the time. I tried the onboard audio of my asus crosshair vi vs my avr because the mobo had a lot of marketing terms saying how good it was at powering headphones for gaming. It took all of 2 seconds to see thru that. I was wondering if my avr is a good headphone solution or would a separate dac/amp be superior for gaming and movies.

Several things to note here:

1. Marantz uses a dedicated headphone driver chip that, while not using the output stage for the speakers to drive headphones, have decent enough power delivery and lower output impedance to preserve what damping factor that driver circuit has. That Philips driver chip is so good that Fiio used practically the same chip (just a later version) as the Marantz CDxx and PMxx series from the early 1990s on their E9 amplifier, except compared to the CDxx, it's got a simpler power supply whose disadvantage in power is offset by not having to spin a CD transport and run a DAC chip and output stage.

2. Motherboards can have decent circuits, but the power isn't exactly there. However, compared to a Marantz CDP, it will have a fair bit more. The problem is very likely the output impedance. As much as Fiio had to design the circuit to lower the output impedance on these Philips driver chips (especially the newest iteration of these chips with the 0.5ohm output impedance on the K5), which means that in all likelihood they would normally have comparable output impedance figures, that's not where it ends. Even the exact same output imedance figure does not guarantee the exact same result. Some circuits will make some headphones sound like tin cans but make other headphones have a bloated bottom end. Case in point: my NAD 304 makes everything sound like a tin can (this one does not use anything like the Philips driver chip, but has a cheap op amp in there), even the 300ohm HD600; same deal with my Marantz CD60 (but at least it didn't make the HD600 sound like a tin can; vs my Meier Cantate, it just had less impact on hard, sudden bass notes); but then there's my Little Dot Mk2 that can make the AKG K701 sound like a tin can (vs being driven by my Meier Cantate) and the Grado SR225 have boosted though not necessarily bloated in the sense that it had little to start with and was easy enough to drive that the amp's low current wasn't a problem (vs the Cantate.2).

In short you're starting off with a pretty decent driver circuit in the Marantz, and if anything, it could be that they're both introducing distortion, but not the same kind of distortion. it might not just be the motherboard's output impedance going one way (I assume it's making the sound thinner) but also the Marantz going the opposite direction (ie giving a slight boost to the bottom end, just not as much as some OTL tube amps might).

Also with regard to motherboards...that's a Crosshair VI. That's from the time when marketing was more predominant than engineering, until you get to the really low end motherboards like my old H77MA-G43 (which has a high noise floor). Some motherboards are better now, and more to the point, there's the Creative AE-5 which has a circuit with output power and output impedance specs comparable to a Magni. Even with a review for the on board audio on a specific board however I'd still base my purchase decision on other things, like price or VRM design, since outboard solutions are available for audio but not a VRM that can maintain 5.0ghz on all eight cores.

I am currently using windows 10 to output in atmos for headphones and really enjoy it for the couple games that support it(but it does not compare at all to the binaural audio of Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice). I don't listen to a lot of music so im not going down that road. Thanks for any advice for my situation.

If you already like using the Marantz with the computer and you don't have a problem keeping it there (I'm assuming you're putting it away from the living room where the speakers are and are using it next to the computer) then you might as well save your money and just use the Marantz.

If it's too bulky for you there then getting an external audio solution is an option.

Just take note though that if the Marantz' output impedance is indeed adding distortion, using a DAC-HPamp with very low output impedance will not take it close to the Marantz, but somewhere between the Marantz and the Asus motherboard in terms of overall tonal balance. You might get an increased kick in the bass due to the power, but that's not in overall for the bass, just a harder thump; but then again you're not going to be listening to music.

If your problem isn't so much the tone but the output level, are you sure you have the settings on the Asus motherboard dialed in? You might want to try setting it to High Gain mode first...or as Gaming Marketing calls it, it would be along the lines of "Pro G4M3R Maximum P4wNaGe Mode" or something ridiculous that in no way states what it really does. My Xonar U3 has "Pro Gamer - for >64ohm headsets." Which is also problematic since it isn't impedance but sensitivity that is the main problem.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 15
The marantz does sound great I cant lie. Im just the type of person who likes to do it the right way the first time. I feel like a 2k+ dollar amp should drive my 300 dollar headphones no problem. If I did any upgrading It would probably just buy new cans. There just isnt alot of information out there if modern avrs is a good solution for driving decent headphones. Games are really starting to step up the audio lately adding atmos and binaural audio and I just want to make sure Im doing it right.

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 15
I use mpc hc and madvr there is absolutely no sub for this on pc, mad vr is just amazing. Finding information on whether the headphone output on the avr is discrete or inline with the speakers is absolutely impossible I spent all day on this. The mobo im using https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/ I tried the onboard after reading how exciting they made it sound on that page under audio. The front panel which is recommended to use could barely power my cans? The Marantz is the only time i get ear tingling bass out of them. My phone and mobo are really quiet. I bought the a900s many years ago based on all the good reviews for having a great sound stage for gaming. I'm sure there is way better nowadays and I'm open for suggestions. They have to be as comfortable as the a900s though.
I own the newer ATH-A900X, which was my preferred headphone (great vocals) for any audio, on my PC (now it's the Beyer T90).
Normally not a lot of bass (just ok bass?) from the A900(X) series, so the phone and PC might be more of what the headphones were designed to sound like
and plugged into the Marantz, your getting a bloated (louder, less detailed) bass?
I like using MPC-HC (64-bit), guess I'll check out the Mad VR.
Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X (150-Ohm) headphones.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 15
The marantz does sound great I cant lie. Im just the type of person who likes to do it the right way the first time. I feel like a 2k+ dollar amp should drive my 300 dollar headphones no problem.

It's not the price that's the problem but where that price went.

On the amp side the Marantz while having a decent headphone amplifier circuit that money mostly still goes into the DSP the amp output stage designed for speakers. Nine speakers. So that's a lot of channels that don't just come off the DSP and into a 6ch DAC chip and into a simpler 5ch amp with a relatively cheap power supply stage like how an older Yamaha would be screaming "175w per channel" and then whisper (ie fine print) "*single channel driven, 1% THD+N." Add the cost of the chassis and how much they cost to ship since fewer can fit into a crate, plus the middlemen considering you're not buying direct from Marantz like you would from Schiit. Even a $100 headphone amp like the Magni would not surprisingly measure better than that, and even a $1,200 amp like the Cayin CS-55a which drives my HD600 well no problem (as well as a T1 600ohm that another customer brought in) is not something I would automatically presume to do a great job with a K70x.

On the headphone end an older headphone like the HD600 or K701 that retails for less money now would have higher impedance and lower sensitivity than, say, the HD660S and HE400S. And in the case of your headphone what is making it hard to gauge as to what will sound like an improvement to you isn't just output power, but output impedance and damping factor, since a Magni3 with very low output impedance and high damping factor will do its ob with less distortion, which can sound "lean" compared to an amp circuit that might have lower power and damping factor but the impedance interaction is boosting the low end.

There just isnt alot of information out there if modern avrs is a good solution for driving decent headphones.

If you have a 300ohm headphone it would be less of a guessing game as to how much the improvement will be. It's just a matter of whether you'll notice the difference with the added power and lower THD+N, but otherwise the effects of the impedance on damping factor isn't an issue. As it is your receiver and motherboard may have such drastic differences not because of power (since the A900X is fairly easy to drive) but because their output impedance is towing it towards opposite directions.

Games are really starting to step up the audio lately adding atmos and binaural audio and I just want to make sure Im doing it right.

What you'll really need more is the imaging capabilities of the headphone. Past that:

1. There's that problem if your current equipment just introducing drastically different distortion, and an amp that doesn't boost the low end other than provide current for when it's needed can sound closer to the leaner one than the warmer one to your ears, or not any different from the warmer one, depending on how severe the effect of either is.

2. You're gaming, not listening to music, much less how I listen to music, which is "feet up, eyes closed, hit Play on one album and listen til the end." Your attention is divided processing visual stimuli and info on screen and audio in both SFX and comms/any gaming events (ie like if an NPC tells you that primary objective failed and now you have to make your way to the extraction point) listening to MP3 SFX and comms. You wouldn't be too concerned about how explosions in one game vs another not having the same punch on the attack and fast decay as you would with fast bass drum kicks or double bass plucking, or that your comms are making Norah Jones sound shrill or like she has sinusitis. While you notice a large gap in your gear now, that's just as likely due to them applying vastly different distortion in the same severity as it is one of them having a more severe effect (and we don't know which is which).

Essentially, what I'm saying is that we can't provide an absolute definitive answer for you. We can just lay out what's likely happening but in the end if you want to try something else, we can't really stop you, but neither do we guarantee that you'll like the result whether on its own or for the money you'll spend.

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 15
That is a lot of information, which to me compresses to these points:
  1. Your integrated brick :wink: has a good DAC, and a good headphone amplifier.
  2. You can get more out of your current setup by disabling all artificial enhancements, which often add distortion.
  3. You can improve on that further with a standalone solution dedicated to driving headphones.
IMO point 3 would only be worth it if music was your main goal. I stand by my first post: Keep what you have.

Mar 7, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #12 of 15
You can get more out of your current setup by disabling all artificial enhancements, which often add distortion

I'd actually keep the DSP running virtual surround for what he needs the headphone for, which is gaming. Unless he can't perceive the difference in virtual surround or gets annoyed with footstep enhancement making everybody sound like it's Robocop stomping around everywhere, it's more likely that he'll appreciate the differences in sound for gaming than notice audiophile-level obsession about low distortion.

It's more of figuring out what exactly each enhancement is doing and minimizing which ones are most necessary and get rid of what doesn't do anything or is detrimental. Or set the correct settings, like whatever Asus decided to call High Gain mode on that motherboard.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #13 of 15
Thanks for all the great info guys, I definitely understand a lot better. I always told myself if I upgraded and dove into the headphone hobby I would do electrostatic, something from stax like the 007 really intrigues me and gets glowing recommendations for all types of media including gaming. That I imagine would be a significant upgrade and investment with the amp and dac required that i could live with until im grey in the head.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #14 of 15
I'd actually keep the DSP running virtual surround for what he needs the headphone for, which is gaming. Unless he can't perceive the difference in virtual surround or gets annoyed with footstep enhancement making everybody sound like it's Robocop stomping around everywhere, it's more likely that he'll appreciate the differences in sound for gaming than notice audiophile-level obsession about low distortion.

It's more of figuring out what exactly each enhancement is doing and minimizing which ones are most necessary and get rid of what doesn't do anything or is detrimental. Or set the correct settings, like whatever Asus decided to call High Gain mode on that motherboard.
I tried the highest gain and it still wasnt loud enough for me. I am using windows atmos for headphones or just stereo depending on the game. Last couple ive bought have had atmos and binaural which has been a great experience.

Mar 8, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 15
I tried the highest gain and it still wasnt loud enough for me. I am using windows atmos for headphones or just stereo depending on the game. Last couple ive bought have had atmos and binaural which has been a great experience.

Yo ucan try an amp for more power ut just be ware that depending on how the Marantz' output impedance is interacting with it the result with an amp that does not have this problem may or may not necessarily be what you like, subjectively speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back