HELP! Tube Firecracker!
Nov 17, 2009 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mistyfud

Head-Fier
WHY?!

Earlier this night I decided to fire up my Little Dot I+ with sylvania gold tubes and listen for a bit. However, a few seconds after I flipped the switch, the left tube lit up and I heard a loud popping sound from the headphones. I immediately turned the amp off and inspected the tube. It looks like its fine, but I think it's busted. I swapped in my generic sylvania tubes and those are fine, so I don't think its the amp. Any thoughts as to why this would happen?

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 6
you need a tube tester, or have some one test for you. I have EML 5u4g mesh plate does soft "Ping" sound each time at cold start. But nothing happens.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 6
Well, I tried the gold tubes again and now they are both fine. I'm not really sure what happened with the burst of light and popping. It really freaked me out and I thought it was going to blow.

Is it possible for a tube to retain a charge of any kind? It's possible it could be related to that.

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistyfüd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I tried the gold tubes again and now they are both fine. I'm not really sure what happened with the burst of light and popping. It really freaked me out and I thought it was going to blow.

Is it possible for a tube to retain a charge of any kind? It's possible it could be related to that.

Tube "flash" is fine, one of my 6N1s does it every time I start up the amp. Not sure on the noise.... Does the crack come directly from the tube, or just in the cans?

If it's the latter, it's no worry.

NK

Nov 18, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tube "flash" is fine, one of my 6N1s does it every time I start up the amp. Not sure on the noise.... Does the crack come directly from the tube, or just in the cans?

If it's the latter, it's no worry.

NK

I recall the popping coming from the headphones only, so I guess it's not really a problem. Still, it was quite shocking
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back