Help..! Trying to decide between Denon & Jays & Shure
Nov 4, 2008 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

A_wee_black_dug

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I've been trawling through various sites and forums (though this one seems head and shoulders above the others!) trying to make
confused_face_2.gif
up my mind between Denon C551 and q-jays (or maybe even the HUGE Denon c751's, although I am a little worried they may pull my ears clean off). I suspect my iPhone won't really be able to properly drive the Shure 310 and I'm not too too convinced that they'll be worth the money either. I've managed to sell all the old tat from round my house on e-bay and so have a budget of up to about $140.

If anybody has any suggestions or recommendations I'd be very very glad to hear them as I feel I have read so many different threads I am now beginning to go round in circles!!

Thanks a lot...!
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/images...sed_face_2.gif
Scott.

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks guys.., Noise isolation isn't soo soo important to me (I work form home so most of my listening is either at home or on aircraft - no rush hour trains etc.). The music I listen to is mostly guitar based: Matchbox20, Train, Snow Patrol, Live, LinkinPark, HoldSteady, that kind of thing. I was drawn to the Denon mostly because of the brand - I've had quite a lot of Denon hifi over the years and always been happy with it.., but the q-jays looked very good.

Thanks again for your input. I think my budget is closer to $180 now - last of my stuff has just been ebayed :wink: so q-jays are at least reachable.

Cheers, Scott.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 8
I'd go for the Denons out of your selection. They are quite large and don't isolate as well as the other two, but the sound and build quality is great.

I had a bad experience of the q-Jays and will NEVER recommend them - I found the bass very weak and the overall sound a bit synthetic. Mine developed a serious fault after a few weeks. There seems to be a bit of a problem with q-Jays filters getting blocked - I've come across several people who had the same experience as me, and I keep my ears meticulously clean. I also found Jens customer service disapointing.

I don't know a great deal about the Shure SE310s but I don't think they provide the best bang for buck out of your selection.

Nov 5, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks again for all the input. I think I'm now pretty much settled on the Denons - just have to decide between the C551 and the C700/751 now..!! Does anyone happen to know if the plug on these fits into the iPhone's daft wee socket..? I'm guessing I'll have to file it or fit a new one...

Anyway.., thanks again..!

Nov 5, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 8
The C700s or C751s are both a definite step up from the C551s.

Unless you really want the carry case, and prefer your cable to be split so that it's short and comes with an extension cable I'd go for the C700s. They sound exactly the same as the C751s but usually come at a lower price. I don't really think it's worth paying the extra ... but they're both a great option whichever you choose.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back