Help troubleshooting noise/buzz in headphones with Xduoo TA-26s tube amp?
Mar 19, 2024 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Marsilio

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased an Xduoo TA-26s OTL tube amp to use with my HD 600s, and I've encountered what seems to be a reasonably common issue with tube amps: I'm hearing some noise/buzzing in the headphones when I use them with the amp. I've read some other threads on Head-Fi and elsewhere discussing similar problems, but I'm looking for some additional help in diagnosing the problem beyond what I've been able to glean from those threads.

Some more detail about what I'm noticing:

The noise is only audible when the volume is at zero; when I turn the volume up a little bit, it goes away and so doesn't really affect music playback. That said, the noise is quite noticeable when the volume is at zero. The noise in question is actually two different sounds. First, there's a white noise-like, whooshing sound that is softer but occasionally also involves the tubes picking up a radio signal. Second, there is a buzzing or humming sound that is somewhat louder; it is more or less prominent depending on where the headphones and headphone cable are positioned relative to the amp. To be clear, all of this is noise I'm hearing in my headphones when they are plugged into the amp (i.e., "within" the audio chain); there is no unusual mechanical humming or buzzing coming "externally" from the amp itself.

I switched out the power tube and preamp tube for replacement ones I have. Initially I thought that changing the preamp tube made a difference, but with more testing I no longer think this is the case. In other words, the problem appears to be independent of what tubes I'm using, though I haven't done a ton of testing and my ability to do so is limited by the small number of tubes I have. I've also previously had the chance to try out a TA-26 that was entirely silent in terms of noise in the headphones when the volume knob was placed at zero, so I'm confident in saying that this doesn't always occur with TA-26 units. I'm not clear, however, on whether people often accept at least a little bit of noise from tube amps with the volume at zero, so long as it isn't affecting one's listening experience. Maybe the "dead silent" unit I tested was an outlier. Some online searching suggests that this issue could sort itself out with time; I've only had the unit for a week or so and used it a few times.

Does anyone have any thoughts re: what might be causing the issues I've described here and to what extent you would regard them as a problem that might call for replacing the amp? Any idea, in particular, what might be causing the humming/buzzing sound I described to vary in intensity when I move the headphones/headphone cable relative to the amp (i.e., literally when I walk around with the headphones on and cable in hand)? I'm still quite new to tube amps, so any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

EDIT: It sounds like the problem I'm describing may be a grounding issue, because disconnecting the RCA cables linking the amp to the DAC eliminates the noise. If anyone else has further thoughts on what could be going on or suggestions for how best to continue troubleshooting it (or when to give up and just return the amp), I'd be grateful for your advice!

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 7
If you disconnect your RCAs, does the noise through the headphones persist?

I would also try moving the amp.

You can also try another outlet, preferably not on the same circuit.

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 7
If you disconnect your RCAs, does the noise through the headphones persist?

I would also try moving the amp.

You can also try another outlet, preferably not on the same circuit.
Removing the RCA cables eliminates the noise -- in particular, it entirely gets rid of the buzzing sound I described. At the risk of asking a newbie question, what does that signify? Does it mean I just need new cables, or does it tell me something about the source of the problem (e.g., some kind of grounding issue) without actually implicating the cables themselves?

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 7
Removing the RCA cables eliminates the noise -- in particular, it entirely gets rid of the buzzing sound I described. At the risk of asking a newbie question, what does that signify? Does it mean I just need new cables, or does it tell me something about the source of the problem (e.g., some kind of grounding issue) without actually implicating the cables themselves?
That sounds like a grounding issue. What is the rest of the chain before the amp--what are the RCAs coming from?

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 7
That sounds like a grounding issue. What is the rest of the chain before the amp--what are the RCAs coming from?
The amp is connected to a JDS Atom+ DAC and then to a laptop. The DAC and amp are both plugged into a surge protector. What's curious to me is that I tried the exact same setup with a different Xduoo TA-26 amp a while ago and didn't encounter this issue, so my sense is that the set-up itself isn't necessarily a problem. Is a grounding issue a sign that there's something wrong with the circuitry of the amp (making a return worth considering), or is it an "environmental" issue best addressed by just modifying the set-up to see if the problem can be addressed that way?

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 7
The amp is connected to a JDS Atom+ DAC and then to a laptop. The DAC and amp are both plugged into a surge protector. What's curious to me is that I tried the exact same setup with a different Xduoo TA-26 amp a while ago and didn't encounter this issue, so my sense is that the set-up itself isn't necessarily a problem. Is a grounding issue a sign that there's something wrong with the circuitry of the amp (making a return worth considering), or is it an "environmental" issue best addressed by just modifying the set-up to see if the problem can be addressed that way?

It's a process of trial and error. Anything might solve it (or make it worse), even trying a different usb port. Different RCAs might also work. No way to definitively give you an answer as all of our setups are different. It could also be the amp itself, but there's a chance you get a replacement and it does the same thing.

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 7
It's a process of trial and error. Anything might solve it (or make it worse), even trying a different usb port. Different RCAs might also work. No way to definitively give you an answer as all of our setups are different. It could also be the amp itself, but there's a chance you get a replacement and it does the same thing.
Ok, thanks! Very helpful! That gives me something to start with. I'll continue to explore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back