Help troubleshooting my HD 650s!!!
Oct 14, 2014 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

steelle

Head-Fier
So as I quickly snapped my head around to check the door, the sound from the right side of my HD 650s went out. I kinda gave my head a wiggle and the sound came back for an instant, died again, and has been dead ever since. I opened them up to check the driver for hair or anything that shouldn't be there, but found nothing. I noticed the fine hair-like wire was possibly detached from the base of the driver, so thinking that was the problem I quickly ordered a replacement driver.  I just now received the driver and swapped it, only to find I still don't have sound out of the right driver.  So my only guess is the cable, but before I order a new one I figured I would check here to make sure there weren't any other obvious things I might have overlooked.  (I've tested multiple other headphones with the source, so that's a non-issue). 

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 5
  So as I quickly snapped my head around to check the door, the sound from the right side of my HD 650s went out. I kinda gave my head a wiggle and the sound came back for an instant, died again, and has been dead ever since. I opened them up to check the driver for hair or anything that shouldn't be there, but found nothing. I noticed the fine hair-like wire was possibly detached from the base of the driver, so thinking that was the problem I quickly ordered a replacement driver.  I just now received the driver and swapped it, only to find I still don't have sound out of the right driver.  So my only guess is the cable, but before I order a new one I figured I would check here to make sure there weren't any other obvious things I might have overlooked.  (I've tested multiple other headphones with the source, so that's a non-issue). 

Can you switch the L and R cable to see if the failure follows that? If so, then definitely a cable issue.

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 5
  Can you switch the L and R cable to see if the failure follows that? If so, then definitely a cable issue.

Sure enough its the cable. Don't know why I didn't think of this in the first place :frowning2:  Thanks for the prompt response

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 5
  Sure enough its the cable. Don't know why I didn't think of this in the first place :frowning2:  Thanks for the prompt response

If the failure switched from one side to the other, it is definitely the cable!

Something must have "snapped" in the cable when you turned your head? Might I suggest a wonderful Moon Audio or Q Audio aftermarket cable?

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 5
I would love to try aftermarket cables but I just can't afford it at the moment. Thanks again for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back