help to pick speakers and reciever for $250
Dec 14, 2004 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

MrSlacker

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys and gals! Well winter vacations are coming up and as every year i will be working during the vacation. This year I decided for the money that I make which will be around $250, get speakers and reciever. I am not sure if i need reciever or speaker amp. Also i am not sure if to get towers or bookshelves. With towers it will be easier to place them. I will put them next to my table which will be about 6 feet apart. If i get bookshelves, i will need to get stands which will cost extra and i am only 15 so thats gonna be hard. So i am open for suggestions on towers and bookshelves. Right now i am looking at KEF Coda 70 and Mission M71i. For towers i have no idea.
Now the reciever. I am lost here too. I dont know if it will be better to get a reciever or speaker amp. I know Kenwood, Pioneer and Harman Kardon are good companies, but there are so many different models so its very hard to decide. All of this will be driven by AV-710. I can go to about $280, but thats the MAX because my parents allowed me to get this only if it will be with money i got from working.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 21
Use a certified sonic impact combo. Comabereni is using Paradigm Atoms with the sonic impact and it's working well for him. That should fit under $200. You will need the extra money for cables and adaptors etc.

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Use a certified sonic impact combo. Comabereni is using Paradigm Atoms with the sonic impact and it's working well for him. That should fit under $200. You will need the extra money for cables and adaptors etc.

could you please explain this to me with a little bit more details because honostly, i have no idea what you are talking about. i probably forgot to mention that i am a noob in audio and especially in speakers. thanks

Dec 14, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 21
Dec 14, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 21
I am happy with my vintage Sansui receiver I picked up an ebay a couple of years ago for around $50. I use it to power Athena AS-F2s. These speakers are out of your price range, but they do have some bookshelves that are ok. BestBuy carries them.
There are lots of vintage Sansuis to be had for cheap on ebay.

Dec 15, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 21
thanks. does anyone else have any suggestions?

Dec 15, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 21
I think your options are pretty darn limited if you REALLY want to stay within your budget and not cheat. At that price, your other alternatives are computer speakers and a couple pro audio monitors. The Event TR-5 is within your grasp.

Dec 15, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

I think your options are pretty darn limited if you REALLY want to stay within your budget and not cheat. At that price, your other alternatives are computer speakers and a couple pro audio monitors. The Event TR-5 is within your grasp.

Okey, lets look at it this way.
I have $280, i can get Mission M71 or KEF Coda 70 for about $150 a pair. That leaves me $130 for the reciever. I dont know much about recievers, but i believe i can get one that does the trick for around $130. So i am open for suggestions for a reciever that is around $130. And again, i am not looking for top of the line speakers that will blow anything else out of water.

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 21
Panasonic xr25, discontinued and VERY hard to find.

Pioneer A-35. Also very hard to find.

These may not be the exact model numbers but very close.

Why do you choose those speakers over other recommendations? Auditioning yourself is best. Pro audio monitors are available at your local guitar center.

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 21
I chose those because I read some good things about them and I cant get suggestions for anything else in my price range. will call up local audio shops tomorow to see what they got.

Dec 15, 2004 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 21
Here's what I usually recommend to my friends (FWIW). Start pounding your local thrift stores and garage sales and find a decent vintage receiver. They're really not that hard to find, you should be able to get something reasonable for around 20 bucks. Also buy whatever cables and connectors you will need, if you have a used hi-fi store in your area you could pick up some decent used cables and interconnects, but I wouldn't worry about that yet. The idea here is that you should spend the bulk of your money on the best speakers you can afford, and you can upgrade the rest as you can afford. During the time it takes you to find the right vintage receiver, go around and audition speakers and find out what you like. If you do have a used hi-fi store in your area, you just might find a good deal on a pair of used speakers. Otherwise, Paradigms and NHTs are both good values, and I love my NHT Super Ones. They fit nicely into your budget if you get them used on ebay. If you end up with a pair of bookshelf speakers, use cinderblocks for the stands. If you don't like the look, cover the front, back, and sides with felt in the color of your choosing.
If you want to go this route, feel free to PM me about any vintage gear you have questions about. I've been gradually upgrading my system for years with this method, and I continue to be happy with the sound of my system. I only recently upgraded my speakers, and if you start out with the best speakers you can afford, you can upgrade everything else as you go. I hope I'm not just rambling on, I've been up all night.
cool.gif

Cheers.

G

Dec 15, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Pioneer A-35. Also very hard to find.

thats a speaker amp, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back