Help to find a dSLR
Jul 28, 2006 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jbloudg20

Headphoneus Supremus
Guys/Gals,

I could use a bit of help here. My sister wants to start taking a few night classes at a local college. Currently she works full time. She has been interested in photography for a few years, and has some experience with a few 35mm SLR cameras. I suggested that she pick up a camera and keep her skills honed, while she waits to begin. (she is not currently enrolled, or applying, but she is expressing interest).

Her budget is about $300. What can she pickup for a manual, digital camera. An older model will suffice, as long as it is still reasonable quality (picture wise).

I don't know diddly about this so I figured I would help her out.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 28, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 16
There are some very good cameras for about $300 from Sony, Canon, and Nikon. I have an old coolpix 3.1 megapixel which has worked really well for me. At the time I bought if for $300, now you can get a 5.1 megapixel for that kind of money. Good luck.

Jul 28, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
There are some very good cameras for about $300 from Sony, Canon, and Nikon. I have an old coolpix 3.1 megapixel which has worked really well for me. At the time I bought if for $300, now you can get a 5.1 megapixel for that kind of money. Good luck.

Those aren't really SLR though... I think he'll have to scour ebay for a good deal on a Canon Digital Rebel D300, or the Nikon 50D. I've seen them go for under $500 with lenses.

Jul 28, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Those aren't really SLR though... I think he'll have to scour ebay for a good deal on a Canon Digital Rebel D300, or the Nikon 50D. I've seen them go for under $500 with lenses.

Rangefinder's perhaps. But buying an used camera from someone you do not know how they took care of it is a risk I would not take.

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 16
Why not use film? If she's going to be taking classes, she'll probably have access to a B&W lab, and may even be required to use film at times. With so many photographers switching to digital, excellent film camera setups are extremely affordable for what you get.

I suggest film because, if my memory serves me, this is about what you can get for $300, all used:
-A quality, fully manual 35mm film SLR setup.
-An okay but automated 35mm film SLR setup.
-A "prosumer" digital camera that has manual functions like an SLR but does not allow interchangable lenses.
-A digital SLR that may not work properly (and maybe without any lenses).

If she's willing to do film, I'd be happy to scrounge my brain and see if I can find some reputable used equipment resellers. If anyone is into photography and thinks I'm wrong--I've only dabbled--do say so!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 16
I recommend getting a film camera as well, especially if she's getting back into the game. You can find great setups on eBay, such as the older Nikon F series, for a little bit more than $300. Is there a local Calumet Photographic near where you live? I would look there as well. B&H Photo also has some good packages at times Pawn shops are treasure troves waiting to be discovered...Film isn't dead yet, and not for a long while coming. Though it's getting tougher to find a good developing lab, but B&W is still the most accessible, since you can set up your own developing/darkroom in a spare room or shed. However, since Kodak stopped producing B&W paper, it seems it's a sign that B&W will be the first to be phased out.

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 16
Used film SLR prices have plummeted since the advent of inexpensive digital SLR's. B&H has some great SLR's for not a lot!

Canon A-1 w/50mm f/1.8

An excellent multi-mode metal manual focus SLR, $229.00

Autofocus Canon EOS 10s with 35-135mm zoom, $259.00

Canon A2 auto focus body only, $149.00

Heck, for that price, you can even get a 2 used-lens package included.

Nikon F80 auto focus body only, $199 (a great camera)

Nikon N8008 auto focus body only, $109

Nikon N90 body $179

For any autofocus camera do not pick any Nikon model "lower" / older than a N8008 - the autofocus system on the N8008 was the best of that Nikon generation (2002, 4004, etc. had very slow systems).

For Canon autofocus look for the A2 generation or newer (again, better system performance).

I would recommend B&H for used - their goods come with a 90 day warranty and a 14 day return previledge, no questions ask (AFAIK). Very good to deal with, condition ratings, all systems tested...they stand behind what they do.

Other than that, if you do wish to stick with digital, the Fuji 5000 series (5100 / 5200, may as well keep away from the 5000 due to the SuperCCD), Nikon 5700 / 8700, Panasonic FZ5 / FZ7 etc are in the price zone. The problem is that these are "prosumer" models with non-removable zoom lenses - $300 won't get you a dSLR, unless you can find one used for a great price but even then I don't think you'll get in the budget.
frown.gif

adds:

Olympus E-300 w/14-45mm lens from B&H, $499

If you can push that budget, just found that

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 16
We were hoping for digital to avoid the developing costs, which will add up FAST with the amount of pictures she takes. Since she will probably not attend classes for another year, she wont have access to a lab, and paying 4ish dollars per roll just for developing doesn't make too much sense for someone on a tight budget.

Thanks for the help so far... I know it isn't too realistic to get a camera for that price, but it is worth a shot.

BTW: we do have a few fully manual 35mm SLR cameras that she can use, she just likes digital.

Jul 29, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #12 of 16
The Pentax *ist DL comes to about $340 after rebate, add $70 for an entry-level 28-80mm zoom or a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. You won't get a cheaper DSLR. Oddly enough, a used Canon D30 from circa 2001 (a breakthrough in its day, I certainly liked mine, but long in the tooth now) is more expensive than the DL...

Jul 29, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 16
I'd advise her to stretch her budget. You can get a Nikon D50 DSLR for only a little over $500 nowadays and it is a full fledged DSLR with interchangeable lenses.

I like to think of it this way: this is an investment that you are going to keep for probably a really long time, so why cheap out on it now and possibly regret not buying something better in the future?

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid
The Pentax *ist DL comes to about $340 after rebate, add $70 for an entry-level 28-80mm zoom or a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. You won't get a cheaper DSLR. Oddly enough, a used Canon D30 from circa 2001 (a breakthrough in its day, I certainly liked mine, but long in the tooth now) is more expensive than the DL...

Yeah. I finally found the Pentax for the price you quoted from Butterfly Photo.

This is the camera to get if you still need the dSLR!

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 16
I would wait a bit, sony is releasing the alpha line (konica minolta upgraded) and even nikon is releasing a new model to fill in the gap between the D200 and the D70s i think they decided to upgrade the sensor size on the D50-D70-D70s. I would wait a bit, this might push the price down of the D50 to the $400 range. Sometimes competition is a good thing, the alpha is gonna be a tough competitor because as we seen it in the past sony is aggresive with getting the consumer educated in theyr products (good advertisement and strategic marketting). What does this mean for us? Theyr releasing a dslr with 10mp, ultrasonic built into sensor to remove dust, built in Immage Stabilization, body size of a 350xt with a beefer grip all for $999, means canon and nikon better dish something out, maybe include IS or include more MP (more is not always better) and possibly some new features because if they don't do this they might steal a chunk of theyr market. Just the IS and the ultrasonic make it a worthwhile feature for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back