Help to decide - Beyerdynamic DT770
Mar 3, 2016 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

manuel2780

New Head-Fier
Hi fellows,

I am looking for some advice with my beyerdynamic cans. I have bought a DT770 premium, and my mi first impression was so dissapointed, weak bass and mids and highs no clear and crisp as I was expecting. So, I wanna ask if somebody has made a direct comparison between DT770 pro and DT770 premium?. I am tented to sell this and buy a DT770 80, but at the end I don't know if it's worthy. 

My setup is my ipod Classic 6th gen and mi MSI GE60 and a Fiio e17k.

Cheers

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 12
In my opinion, the 80 ohm version has a bit more bass emphasis than the 250. Others may disagree, but that's been my experience. Are you using an amp, by any chance?

Oops--missed the bit about your amp.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 12
  In my opinion, the 80 ohm version has a bit more bass emphasis than the 250. Others may disagree, but that's been my experience. Are you using an amp, by any chance?

Oops--missed the bit about your amp.

Thansk for your reply. Add to the E17k, I have ordered a Fiio K5 and Fiio x1 (they are on their way). I also have a vintage pioneer SA-8500 which really push hard. I have a HIFIMAN HE400 and a old Denon HP700, which are the headphones I was looking to replace. I am also thinking, that may be I am not impressed at all with the Beyer's because of my HIFIMAN's.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 12
  I am looking for some advice with my Beyerdynamic cans. I have bought a DT770 premium, and my mi first impression was so disappointed, weak bass and mids and highs no clear and crisp as I was expecting.
So, I wanna ask if somebody has made a direct comparison between DT770 pro and DT770 premium?. I am tented to sell this and buy a DT770 80, but at the end I don't know if it's worthy. 
My setup is my iPod Classic 6th gen and mi MSI GE60 and a FiiO E17k.

Pro and Premium are not really the deciding factor with the DT770.
Deciding factors are really the Ohm ratings, 32-Ohm, 80-Ohm, 250-Ohm, 600-Ohm.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Just to make sure, you have the DT770 Premium 32-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones?
Not some 250-Ohm or 600-Ohm version.
Not sure if there is any Premium 250-Ohm or 600-Ohm version, but just needed to ask.

The 32-Ohm version of the DT770 is more power hungry then it's 32-Ohm rating would lead you to believe.
The iPod and E17K might not be able to feed the amount of power the 32-Ohm DT770 needs to sound it's best.

It might also take some break in time to improve the DT770.
You might leave them plugged in over night, for a few nights, with audio running thru them.

I've had the impression the Soundmagic HP150 is better then the DT770

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 12
  Thansk for your reply. Add to the E17k, I have ordered a Fiio K5 and Fiio x1 (they are on their way). I also have a vintage pioneer SA-8500 which really push hard. I have a HIFIMAN HE400 and a old Denon HP700, which are the headphones I was looking to replace. I am also thinking, that may be I am not impressed at all with the Beyer's because of my HIFIMAN's.

Right. Also, the sound signature of the DT 770 is completely different from that of the HE400. It may be that you need a bit of time to get accustomed to his very different presentation of the music. Whether it's brain burn-in or headphone burn-in, it does seem to be the case that as time passes, we become more accustomed to and familiar with our new hp. I don't know if that is a factor here, but tincture of time does seem to work for some people. On the other had, if you are sure you don't like them, you may just want to replace them. Either way, I wish you luck.

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 12

Pro and Premium are not really the deciding factor with the DT770.
Deciding factors are really the Ohm ratings, 32-Ohm, 80-Ohm, 250-Ohm, 600-Ohm.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Just to make sure, you have the DT770 Premium 32-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones?
Not some 250-Ohm or 600-Ohm version.
Not sure if there is any Premium 250-Ohm or 600-Ohm version, but just needed to ask.

The 32-Ohm version of the DT770 is more power hungry then it's 32-Ohm rating would lead you to believe.
The iPod and E17K might not be able to feed the amount of power the 32-Ohm DT770 needs to sound it's best.

It might also take some break in time to improve the DT770.
You might leave them plugged in over night, for a few nights, with audio running thru them.

I've had the impression the Soundmagic HP150 is better then the DT770

Thanks. I got the 250 Ohms Premium DT770, but they are used, so they should have been burned. I heard good things about soundamgic. In fact, I have IEM from soundamgic (E10), and they are very good.

Right. Also, the sound signature of the DT 770 is completely different from that of the HE400. It may be that you need a bit of time to get accustomed to his very different presentation of the music. Whether it's brain burn-in or headphone burn-in, it does seem to be the case that as time passes, we become more accustomed to and familiar with our new hp. I don't know if that is a factor here, but tincture of time does seem to work for some people. On the other had, if you are sure you don't like them, you may just want to replace them. Either way, I wish you luck.

Thanks for your advice. and yes, I am thinking to wait a little bit using them to be sure. I have tested today running just with mi ipod without my glasses, listening metal music on my couch and I heard them better than yesterday. I could appreciate the soundstage and the deeper bass. Maybe, when my Fiio X1 and K5 arrives, i will make my final decision. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 12
  Thanks. I got the 250 Ohms Premium DT770, but they are used, so they should have been burned. I heard good things about soundamgic. In fact, I have IEM from soundamgic (E10), and they are very good.
Thanks for your advice. and yes, I am thinking to wait a little bit using them to be sure. I have tested today running just with mi ipod without my glasses, listening metal music on my couch and I heard them better than yesterday. I could appreciate the soundstage and the deeper bass. Maybe, when my Fiio X1 and K5 arrives, i will make my final decision. 

Let us know how it all turns out for you, please.

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 12
Update.
I am really impressed about the change of mi perception regarding the headphones. I've been using them extensively, and today I have arrived to my weekend house, where I have my beloved pioneer SA amp. I have made a quickly test against my Denon's, and I could appreciate the differences. The most dramatic has been the volume, these Beyer's really needs more power. My Denon's have more V shape without doubt, but the soundstage and the bass of the beyer's are different and I like more (the high frecuencies on the Denon are more present). 
To mi mind comes a question, Does the headphones need to be burned again when they are much time with not use?. Or my perception has being changed because the custom of my brain?
Thanks guys for your advises, they are really worthy. I have learnt a lot on this forum. 
smily_headphones1.gif

PD. Sorry for my English. As you should have noted, it is not my first language.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 12
Burn-in is a passionately controversial topic and there are as many opinions about it as there are people in New York City. Some insist it's hogwash. Others insist it's absolutely a real phenomenon and dismiss the skeptics as clueless. Still other people believe in something like "brain burn-in," where the brain basically has to, over time, get used to new cans before they can be fully appreciated and experienced. All of which is to say that you probably shouldn't worry too much about all this and should probably just enjoy your headphones. Per your question, though, there is no evidence that headphones that have gone without use for some time need to be burned in again. I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy them.
dt880smile.png

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 12
I recently bought a DT770 250ohm on advice from a friend as I was seeking a "fun" headphone that would pair well with my amp.

I can tell you that burn-in is very real,at least on the 770s....

I A/B'd them against my T1s and the bass on the 770s was deeper and the highs were painful.

72 hours of pink noise later I A/B'd them again and the bass had tamed to almost an equal level to T1s and the highs still hurt my ears,just not quite as bad,so back to Amazon they went :frowning2:

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 12
  I recently bought a DT770 250ohm on advice from a friend as I was seeking a "fun" headphone that would pair well with my amp.

I can tell you that burn-in is very real,at least on the 770s....

I A/B'd them against my T1s and the bass on the 770s was deeper and the highs were painful.

72 hours of pink noise later I A/B'd them again and the bass had tamed to almost an equal level to T1s and the highs still hurt my ears,just not quite as bad,so back to Amazon they went :frowning2:

There you have it...

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 12
  Update.
I am really impressed about the change of mi perception regarding the headphones. I've been using them extensively, and today I have arrived to my weekend house, where I have my beloved pioneer SA amp. I have made a quickly test against my Denon's, and I could appreciate the differences. The most dramatic has been the volume, these Beyer's really needs more power. My Denon's have more V shape without doubt, but the sound stage and the bass of the beyer's are different and I like more (the high frecuencies on the Denon are more present). 
To mi mind comes a question, Does the headphones need to be burned again when they are much time with not use?. Or my perception has being changed because the custom of my brain?
Thanks guys for your advises, they are really worthy. I have learnt a lot on this forum. 
smily_headphones1.gif

PD. Sorry for my English. As you should have noted, it is not my first language.

Some believe in burn in, some do not.
Try leaving audio running thru the headphones over night, several nights, then see if you notice a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back