Help to decide between T90 and HD600
Jan 1, 2017 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

marcussmj

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all need your help to decide which will be the better set of headphones for a long time. Most likely this will be my endgame till I earn more money in the future. Problem is they are both similarly priced in my country and I can't seem to get proper recommendations between them. I was looking at the HD650 but they are considerably more expensive than these 2 brand new. Please help me out guys. Cheers.

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 24
Might depend on what sources or DAC/amp you plugging the headphones into?

My Beyerdynamic T90 are my preferred headphone for all audio :)

Jan 1, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 24
if at all possible you should listen to the T90 before buying one.. it has a LOT of treble.. pretty bright headphone indeed.

I use the DT880 Premium 250Ohms headphone at home.. which also has some rep as being bright..but it is much less bright than the T90..     Beyer headphones and warm tube amps seem to be a nice match..

with the gear that you have ... I would have to say the HD600 is going to be a much safer choice.. if you can't demo stuff before hand.

what sort of music will you be listening to?

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 24
if at all possible you should listen to the T90 before buying one.. it has a LOT of treble.. pretty bright headphone indeed.

I use the DT880 Premium 250Ohms headphone at home.. which also has some rep as being bright..but it is much less bright than the T90..     Beyer headphones and warm tube amps seem to be a nice match..

with the gear that you have ... I would have to say the HD600 is going to be a much safer choice.. if you can't demo stuff before hand.

what sort of music will you be listening to?

Edm mostly..

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 24
Edm mostly..

For EDM....

No on HD600...not enough thump

I can recommend,

VModa M100
Fidelio X1 or X2

Cannot comment on T90s but if theyre anything like the DT line then I hope you enjoy treble.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #8 of 24
Just want to update the thread, I managed to get my hands on a HD650 and Graham Slee Solo amp for a good price. No dac at the moment cause I am running it from my z170 motherboard. Should I invest in a dac to improve the sound? What are my possible gains?

Jan 11, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 24
Just want to update the thread, I managed to get my hands on a HD650 and Graham Slee Solo amp for a good price. No dac at the moment cause I am running it from my z170 motherboard. Should I invest in a dac to improve the sound? What are my possible gains?

What kind of Z170 is that? If it's the type with a decent audio circuit like the Gigabyte Gaming boards then there's going to be only a marginal improvement in noise levels and linear response. Otherwise maybe there might be a marked improvement, but overall you really just get the DAC for some peace of mind that the analogue signal travels a shorter path to the amp while you are processing it using a DAC with a good output stage.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 24
What kind of Z170 is that? If it's the type with a decent audio circuit like the Gigabyte Gaming boards then there's going to be only a marginal improvement in noise levels and linear response. Otherwise maybe there might be a marked improvement, but overall you really just get the DAC for some peace of mind that the analogue signal travels a shorter path to the amp while you are processing it using a DAC with a good output stage.

Using the Asus hero alpha

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 24
Using the Asus hero alpha

If you need virtual surround and its DSP has it, check how it works. If it can send out that signal through the FR-FL speaker output, just continue using that; if not, then use an SPDIF DAC hooked up to the mobo's SPDIF output (the DSP also does the SPDIF conversion so that signal goes through there).

If you otherwise don't need the DSP, might as well just keep using the analogue output of the mobo as it's not one of the ones I'd suspect to have enough problems to prompt me to spend anything, unless for example you're starting it all off by getting something like an AudioGD NFB-11.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 24
If you need virtual surround and its DSP has it, check how it works. If it can send out that signal through the FR-FL speaker output, just continue using that; if not, then use an SPDIF DAC hooked up to the mobo's SPDIF output (the DSP also does the SPDIF conversion so that signal goes through there).

If you otherwise don't need the DSP, might as well just keep using the analogue output of the mobo as it's not one of the ones I'd suspect to have enough problems to prompt me to spend anything, unless for example you're starting it all off by getting something like an AudioGD NFB-11.

I suppose I could upgrade the PSU of the amp for better sound? I read somewhere that Graham made an upgrade for it and people were hearing improvements.

Jan 14, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 24
I suppose I could upgrade the PSU of the amp for better sound? I read somewhere that Graham made an upgrade for it and people were hearing improvements.

That's up to you but personally, at $299 for that PSU brand new plus what you already spent on the amp so far, I would have just picked up a Meier Jazz or Schiit Valhalla2 and then a Modi2 Uber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back