Help to chose headphones
Jun 4, 2016 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

omikron199

New Head-Fier
Hello, I need your help people. I'm in a search for new better headphones. Budget is up to 600$. Primary use - music listening. Music - classic, rock, metal, some pop. Other equipement - Schiit Valhalla 2 amp, Schiit Bifrost dac.

Candidates:

1. Oppo PM-3
2. Audio Technica MSR7
3. Philips Fidelio X2
4. Sennheiser HD700
5. Sony MDR1A
6. Sony MDR-Z7
7. Fostex th-x00

Suggestions are welcome.

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 14
My recommendation would be the HD 650. It has less problems than the HD 700. (Both are well above average quality.)

Another option would be the HD 600, but I have not owned that one.

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 14
  What makes them better?

Well, they both excel in different areas, but the HD 650 has less abnormalities in the frequency response.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD700.pdf

If you were to properly equalize them both, I'm sure the HD 700 would win. (I've only heard them without EQ.)

Jun 4, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 14
In my opinion the HD700 has more detail and imaging. It is also far easier to drive because of its lower impendance and high sensitivity. It is perfectly usable even with portable devices while the HD650 always needs an amplifier.

Jun 4, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 14
The 700's pair real well with the Vahalla 2 as well. Only certain recordings do I find the treble spike in the 700's a problem . Having not heard the Sony or AT's on your list I would opt for the 700's with the x00's a close second just for the fun of their sound but don't come close on detail and soundstage of the 700's. Just my opinion.

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 14
  It looks like hd 700 is dominating the list, but what you guys think about the complaints regarding the actual headphones? They have a lot of them somehow.

Pretty much all the complaints stem from the frequency response aberrations I mentioned. It's really peaky, as you can see in the measurements I linked to. Oddly, although I generally dislike brighter headphones, and the HD 700's treble can be quite piercing at times, it never really bothered me. Since you're using a tube amp, that issue could be less problematic, though I would still advise using a parametric equalizer either way, since it gives you a lot of control over the sound.

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 14
I think a lot of that was when they cost about $1000 and I got mine for just over $400. So more people are listening to them. I don't find the problems with them that others do it might be me I don't know. There is the 5 or 6khz spike but is only noticeable on a few tracks for me. They are very comfortable to wear and the detail and soundstage are great. They might not be for everyone but what can is. For me they are the best of the ones you've listed that I have heard by a good margin and sounds good with the V 2 that you already have I sold mine because it didn't work well with my Planars . The choice is yours just giving my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back