Help to choose a DAC
May 20, 2014 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DaveNear

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Recently I bought the soundmagic hp 100 headphones and now i am looking for a dac to enhance the quality of the sound because I am using the soundcard built in my notebook. I think the jds labs odac could be a good way to go but i want to know which other options I should look at (under 200 bucks).

Thanks.

May 20, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 4
  Hi,

Recently I bought the soundmagic hp 100 headphones and now i am looking for a dac to enhance the quality of the sound because I am using the soundcard built in my notebook. I think the jds labs odac could be a good way to go but i want to know which other options I should look at (under 200 bucks).

Thanks.

there are a few depending on where you want to go... for a simple fix and something you can carry around the Fiio E18 [android compatible] works wonders, and your going to want an amp dac combo for under $200, as a dac works best paired with an amp.

How ever the oDac combo from JDS Labs is a great place to start, you could also take a look at something like JDS labs C5D 

May 20, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 4
The ODAC is undoubtedly a good DAC, but you do have to get a headphone amp to go with it. Not meant to power headphones on its own.

For something uber portable for a notebook, look into the Audioquest Dragonfly. It' a small USB DAC/headphone amp.

May 20, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 4
The ODAC is undoubtedly a good DAC, but you do have to get a headphone amp to go with it. Not meant to power headphones on its own.

For something uber portable for a notebook, look into the Audioquest Dragonfly. It' a small USB DAC/headphone amp.

indeed, JDS sells a combo oDac and O2 amp unit, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back