help...tinnitus..
Jan 13, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #16 of 26
Went to an acupuncturist, and she said that acupuncture has helped a lot of people in her experience, but it needs to be treated at its onset. If not, the treatment will take longer. I went in twice, but my tinnitus seems to be only a bit better. She did teach me some pressure points and massages that I should do daily.

The reason she gave for the tinnitus was that the radiation from headphones, computers, TV's, what have you could block the natural flow of energy and cause weird symptoms.

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

The reason she gave for the tinnitus was that the radiation from headphones, computers, TV's, what have you could block the natural flow of energy and cause weird symptoms.

Radiation from headphones? Having tinnitus, I've done extensive research and never heard of any of these things causing it.

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Radiation from headphones? Having tinnitus, I've done extensive research and never heard of any of these things causing it.

I understand your thinking, and I didn't believe it and still doubt it myself.

But I have tried out massaging the different points as directed by the acupuncturist and notice an improvement.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #19 of 26
I've had tinnitus since my car accident over three years ago. I wish mine came and went, but unfortunately it is constant. It's one reason I returned to headphones and came to head-fi. Listening at low volumes via headphones masks the tinnitus, giving me a break from the high pitch whine (.. or was that my husband? oops! Did I say that out loud? ..)

I have heard/read that tinnitus may be caused/initited by some anesthesia and high blood pressure. I gained weight during my recover and ergo raised my blood pressure. Now that I am exercising again I find my tinnitus is sometimes quieter but not gone, however my blood pressure has returned to normal. In my case, perhaps it is/was a combiation of both. In any case, I'd advise doing your own research as some suggested remedies ay work for you.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Went to an acupuncturist, and she said that acupuncture has helped a lot of people in her experience, but it needs to be treated at its onset. If not, the treatment will take longer. I went in twice, but my tinnitus seems to be only a bit better. She did teach me some pressure points and massages that I should do daily.

Acupressure can work wonders for a number of things.

Headphones emit magnetic fields which scientists are still researching. Headphone companies like Ultrasone are producing things like ULE (Ultra Low Emission) in their headphones which is basically a metal shield against this type of radiation.

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #22 of 26
having damaged one ear in a diving accident long ago, I also have had TMJ-related ear complaints. so yes - it's something you can treat with massages or acupuncture (and/or anti-inflammatory meds) some of the time, but other damage can well be permanent.

none of that should stop you from listening to music with good headphones. I did find though that IEMs can be unbearable some days, although usually I prefer them. - and although I can date my tinnitus to an outdoor Prince concert, I'll even still listen to Prince every now and then. :wink:

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #23 of 26
Isn't exercise supposed to suppress tinnitus? Mine is more prominent after it.

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Isn't exercise supposed to suppress tinnitus? Mine is more prominent after it.

Different things may alleviate it for different people, just as different things may aggrevate it for different people. I'm starting to believe that stress does play a role in mine although I'm also wondering if I might have Meniere's Disease.

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #25 of 26
I feel my tinnitus stronger if I clench my jaw or yawn... Is that normal?

Jan 20, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

I feel my tinnitus stronger if I clench my jaw or yawn... Is that normal?

I get it the same way. If I 'tense' my jaw, noises start in my ears. My noises vary a great deal from day to day but one thing that I think has a large effect is stress.

At times when I have been really busy, the noises can be quite loud. I wonder whether mine is related to blood pressure.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back