Help this Newbie Steer Clear of Beats!
Oct 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:
I saw that the P5's now come in a really sleek ivory color that I Love. Anyone have any notes/experiences on the comparison between:
B&W P5 (Ivory)
Sony MDR-1NC (Black/Red)
UE 6000 (Black/Blue)
Vmoda M100 (Matte Black)
AKG K550 (Do these come in white?)
I think I've narrowed it down to these 5.

Regarding the UE6000s, here's a quote from Ishcabible:

"I heard the UE6000 over the weekend. They're decent. They're clearly better than the M50, but I didn't love their midrange at all. It sounded kinda funky with rock. They were definitely warm, almost wooly, which was slightly obnoxious with rock.

..."

As for the P5s, I believe it was ljokerl who said that the ZX700s are what the P5s could have been, but weren't. Since you live in the US, you might want to check this out.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Regarding the UE6000s, here's a quote from Ishcabible:

"I heard the UE6000 over the weekend. They're decent. They're clearly better than the M50, but I didn't love their midrange at all. It sounded kinda funky with rock. They were definitely warm, almost wooly, which was slightly obnoxious with rock.

..."

As for the P5s, I believe it was ljokerl who said that the ZX700s are what the P5s could have been, but weren't. Since you live in the US, you might want to check this out.

I remember making that comment on a different forum, but I really hesitate for anyone reading that to take it too seriously. The conditions admittedly weren't too great (they were on demo in an Apple store and my Galaxy S was the source) and my ears are currently tuned to the lean SA5000 sound. Even my Fostex sound kinda wooly. But if I recall correctly, I made those impressions for someone looking towards a more midrangy sound, at least how I interpreted it, and it was recommended by someone who hadn't heard them, so I felt obliged to say something about them. I definitely want to hear them again because I'm stuck between the UE6000, M100, and MDR-1, and the UE is probably the only one I'd be able to try in a store. I feel that I'd like them more if I could hear them in a quieter place for longer than 15 minutes so I could de-tune my ears to be less used to a lean sound sig.

But yeah, take that comment with a grain of salt because I'm sure there's going to be a ton of people who'd disagree with me who actually have them.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #18 of 30
UE6000, MDR-1NC, and M100? You're in the same boat as me! Let me know how you plan to listen to these as well, since I can only test out the UE's at the Apple store.

Remember, my source is not ideal either, just an iPhone or computer. In fact, it seemed like the iPhone had to be at almost Max volume in my initial test with the UE 6000's

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #19 of 30
If you live by a city, a Sony store might have the MDR-1's eventually. The one in Chicago had the Z1000 when I went. It must have been a temporary thing because when my friend wanted a <$500 closed headphone, I told her to try the Z1000 in Chicago, they weren't there. She has similar tastes as you and ended up with the Amperior, which I suggest you also try. I can't write too much definitive stuff because the only time I tried it was the same situation as the UE6000, but from the little I got, they were brighter, a bit less bass impact, and grainier mids. I'd probably pick the UE6000, but again, I'm not a very reliable person for that; since you can apparently try them, hear for yourself. The M100 I'm just going to have to take a leap of faith if ever. Unless Val sends me a loaner to review for Headfonics. It's the only one I'd be willing to buy deaf because even if I don't like them, they'd still find portable usage because they seem so sturdy.

From what I've read about the other two, they all seem to go for very different things. The M100 seems to go for a semi-neutral, yet bass-emphasized approach, the MDR-1 seems to be a more consumer-oriented Z1000, which is completely different from the M100 and the UE6000 because it's still relatively neutral, and what I gathered from the UE6000 was that they mostly aim to please, and if you aren't a midrange freak like me, with some extra power, they'd be very nice. 

I'd stray from the P5 if I were you. They're too mushy sounding, and I agree with the above. The Z1000 (and ZX700) were "better" P5's with more treble and a less enveloping sound. If you thought the 7506 didn't have enough bass, definitely cross off the K550 unless you have the perfect head for it. Otherwise they sound pretty thin. I'd like them a lot if they had a less plasticky sound, but that's because I have a big head and the pads seal pretty well. $300 is too much for them. The $150ish they seem to be going for on Amazon's Warehouse Deals is a steal though. 

Other than that, I can't help you much. Good luck! I hate to jump on the hype train, but the M100 seems to be the most promising. What you heard with the UE6000 versus the Beats is probably just that you want a more bassy, colored sound. The M100 seems to have the bassiness sorted out, but the coloration will probably be missing. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:
UE6000, MDR-1NC, and M100? You're in the same boat as me! Let me know how you plan to listen to these as well, since I can only test out the UE's at the Apple store.
Remember, my source is not ideal either, just an iPhone or computer. In fact, it seemed like the iPhone had to be at almost Max volume in my initial test with the UE 6000's

a portable amp like the fiio e11 wouldnt hurt if you have issues driving those cans

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:
Not really... Its not that they're bad but more that they are overpriced.

Well, either way, the point is I'm wanting something else. 

Can anyone who has tested the Sony MDR-1 series, UE6000, and M100 (seems like I'm down to these 3) say something about long term comfort? Can you wear all three of these models for more than an hour of listening, for example?

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #24 of 30
One other thing I forgot to mention, I like headphones to give me enough chin/jaw space to move around when I'm wearing it around my neck. I noticed that all of V-Moda's headphones seem to clamp together when not in use, has anyone felt that it is restricting when worn around the neck?

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #25 of 30
I've also just tested out a friend's AT-M50's due to a lot of suggestions on this site for this pair of cans. Maybe because it's a good pair of cans at the price, but I was a little let down by these as well. Although the bass was there, it seemed rather bland, the materials seemed cheap, the cans tended to get hot quickly, and the sound didn't seem to 'surround me' like some other cans (is this the description of soundstage?). Can someone confirm that a lot of closed cans at the $300 range are actually better, or am I just not good at discerning sound quality?

Songs I used to test: 
Jack Johnson - All At Once (I love how it starts with the guitar, then the voice comes in later, then the bass, on great headphones, this always gives me goosebumps)
Rachel Yamagata - Duets (I love the beginning of this too, and love using this to test voice clarity)
Train - Hey, Soul Sister (On really good cans, the guitar riff in the beginning sounds so clear, I can hear the very texture of the strings, and when the voice comes in, it soars)
Rihanna - Where Have You Been (I use this to test bass)

For all these songs, on these headphones, either the bass seemed boring, or the voices seemed to be mixed in with all the music, without feeling like the music was 'surrounding' me. 

Also, one last thing that concerns me, is that these cans seemed to leak a lot of sound in the office, am I listening to them too loud?

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #26 of 30
I'd go for the m100s. If they're anything like the m80s, I've got really high hopes for them.

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #28 of 30
With the UE6000's I can wear them for hours without feeling clamping but they won't fall off easily either. Surprisingly, even with big earcups, I can manage to have pretty full head movement while wearing the UE6000's on my neck

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #29 of 30
In search of the perfect headphone.

What type of music must it be good for: Absolutely everything.

Comfort level: Has to be super comfortable to wear for hours.

Sound quality: Has to have super clear highs/treble, mids have to sound great, bass has to pound when required. 

I'll be using at my desk as well as while I travel, so it has to be portable too.

I also need to be able to wear it around my neck.

I also need it to look great. 

Please make some suggestions: This headphone doesn't exist, and if it did, every person on these forums would either have it, or want it.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:
In search of the perfect headphone.

What type of music must it be good for: Absolutely everything.

Comfort level: Has to be super comfortable to wear for hours.

Sound quality: Has to have super clear highs/treble, mids have to sound great, bass has to pound when required. 

I'll be using at my desk as well as while I travel, so it has to be portable too.

I also need to be able to wear it around my neck.

I also need it to look great. 

Please make some suggestions: This headphone doesn't exist, and if it did, every person on these forums would either have it, or want it.

Honestly this is pretty much it. 
There are not that many super stylish headphones that sound extraordinary. 

However, I think the closest you can get to that is with the V-Moda M100 or M80....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back