Help! there is noise when my CD player play CDs
Oct 12, 2011 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

royfreedom

100+ Head-Fier

Does anyone know why there is noise when my CD player play CDs, I can heard some funny sounds from my headphones, almost like 'zizizi' or 'sasasa', sometimes loud and sometimes sound small, it happened random, and my CD player showed there is no disc once during I listen it after this funny noise, but strange thing is, sometimes my CD player worked perfectly without any funny noise. And this machine produced in 2005. Do you guys know which part going wrong here or you have any suggestion? Thanks a lot.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 6
It sounds like there either a problem with the grounding planes or the DAC inside the CD player is going bad.  It seems like you are describing harmonic distortion or really severe jitter and neither one is a good thing.  Try another pair of headphones and another song and report back what you hear.

Also make sure that the CD player has a plug that uses a ground.  It should have 3 pins on it not just 2.  Be sure that the CD players is plugged into the same outlet / power strip as all of your other devices in the audio chain like your computer.

Actually now that I think about it the "sasasa" sound is more like the CD is rubbing the housing or the motor is off balance.  I have heard this before on inexpensive CD players like my Sony Discman.  Make sure the CD you are using is pressed firmly down and balanced.  Sometimes light CD's will not be heavy enough to remain balanced.  This is why so many nice CD players have a weigh that is used to keep constant pressure around the spindle.  I know I have a Tom Petty CD that is too light for my CD player in my car and when I hit bumps the CD player loses balance.  Try another legit CD and see if that fixes it.  It also may not be a bad idea to try to vacuum out the CD player, but be careful because this creates a ton of ESD and can damage the electronics inside the player.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 6
Is it just at the start when after you've put the cd in and closed the door or does it continue all through the music?  If it's just at the start, it might be the cd player reading the table of contents on the disc.  My old NAD c542 does it.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for your kindly reply, I tried another headphone, the noise still happened, I dont think it is someting wrong with the headphone. and antoher thing, what is that mean by vacuum out the CD player.

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 6
It still sounds like the CD players is not keeping your CDs balanced.  The sound can be heard from the CD player without headphones right?  Like a light clicking or even a sandpaper sound?  If so then the CD player is not balanced.

By vacuum out the CD player I mean try to remove the dust from it.  The dust and other debris could be keeping the motor parts from spinning the disc properly.

LostWeekend
Now that you mention it I do remember my old CD player accessing data with a kind of "eee-rrrr" sound.  That probably is the simplest explanation.  The player is just accesssing the next track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back