Help! The Taxman Ate My IEMs!
Jan 4, 2007 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sordel

1000+ Head-Fier
I got hit this morning with a £100 ($200) import fee for my Headroom Micro Stack, so there goes the budget that I had planned to spend on a nice high-end pair of IEMs.
mad.gif

With what I've got left - £126 - I could buy UE super.fi 5 EBs, Ety 6is or Shure E3cs. I could stretch to E4cs, or even super.fi 5 Pros, but it starts to hurt at that pricepoint.

Now, given that the idea is to try out IEMs and get a portable, isolating earphone that will pair with my Micro Amp, what would you suggest? I really like the sound from my domestic K 701s, but could do with something (slightly) more bassy. The EBs make me cautious about low-end muddiness (I already have the Bose IEs!).

Jan 4, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 16
It can be a right pain based in the UK
frown.gif

Example;

Say I bought a CD player from the States that cost £350 including shipping.

350 x 14% = £49 Customs Duty
(350 + 49) x 17.5% = £69.82 VAT
Total tax £118.82 + Possible Handling Fee (the max I've been had for is £25).

As for IEMs, I suggest you grab the Shure E4c for £117 Delivered while you can;

http://www.microanvika.com/product.a...O&PNO=SHU59110

Jan 4, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 16
Man now that is bad, having a budgetted plan go out the window. That's why I've been putting off and ignoring any wants to buy a hornet. Even though I'm 'just across the border' in Canada, I can't manage the duties on top of an already insanely expensive amp. And RSA stuff can't be had at amazon.com or something
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 16
i never realized how hard it was for people outside the usa to buy stuff from here... $200 in import taxes is outrageous. i'd stick to buying stuff manufactured in my own country.

Jan 4, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 16
I don't buy anything from the US unless the buyer marks it as a gift. It's unfair and outrageous. This may affect my purchase of a hornet or tomahawk, but I think FedEx acoids import charges..?

Jan 4, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man now that is bad, having a budgetted plan go out the window. That's why I've been putting off and ignoring any wants to buy a hornet. Even though I'm 'just across the border' in Canada, I can't manage the duties on top of an already insanely expensive amp. And RSA stuff can't be had at amazon.com or something
biggrin.gif

It's not that bad actually, just make sure you get it shipped with USPS. The wait time will be more but at least you don't get the brokerage fees. You will just get taxed (%14 I believe) + handling fee ($5 or so). Doesn't sound as bad as the UK lol.

Jan 4, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 16
If you are buying anything used from the U.S. make sure to tell the seller to mark it as a gift. I once got dinged by customs for two computer games that were free to me but because it wasn't marked as a gift customs evaluated them at $60.00 and I had to pay duty plus $5.00 handling fee.

Back in '85 I moved back to the UK for a while. I had some stuff shipped over by container ship. I had to pay duty on my own stuff! Bastages.

Jan 4, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 16
I've asked a fair few people in the past if they would mark down the cost of the item at my risk, many will not mark down when others are more than happy to accommodated.

It can be a nightmare if something breaks as you may need to ship back to the states, if you don't take copies of original receipts then you could be clobbered again when it returns to the UK.

Jan 5, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember USA history?
This is why we had The Boston Tea Party way back when.
Jeez.

Yes, but we are not currently depending on British imports
wink.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dork Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for IEMs, I suggest you grab the Shure E4c for £117 Delivered while you can;

http://www.microanvika.com/product.a...O&PNO=SHU59110

Um, sold! Thanks for the heads-up.
etysmile.gif
Surviving the tax hit and getting a reasonable deal out of the rapacious Shure is like a double bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back