Help the noob buy headphones for Titanium HD
Oct 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

KingPing

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

I have a Titanium HD, and currently i'm using a Razer Carcharias headphones, i would like to buy a new headphones to listen music, unfortunately where i live the selection of cans is rather limited
frown.gif

This is the list so far:

v-moda Crossfade M-80
Pioneer HDJ 500
Pioneer HDJ 1000
Pioneer HDJ 2000

*Price is not important.

Are these headphones a big improvement over the Carcharias?

If yes: what would be the best headphone to use with the Titanium HD?

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 12
What are the music genres you listen to? Do you prefer closed or open headphones? Are you considering getting a headphone amp?

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
What are the music genres you listen to? Do you prefer closed or open headphones? Are you considering getting a headphone amp?

1) a bit of everything

2) I don't mind if they are open or closed

3) if necessary yes, but i would have to look if i can get one here where i live, i know for sure this one is available http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/034/sda1000_detail.html but i don't know if it's a good amp.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 12
That makes it a bit harder to do recommendations, since there isn't really a true general purpose set of headphones.

From your list, the HDJ-2000 is the best and surprisingly balanced for a DJ set.

What characteristics do you like more about sound? Bass, mids, treble?

I've never seen that amp before, so I can't give any feedback on it.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 12
Any chance you could post your location in your community profile.
Need to click on your name in the upper right hand side, just to the right of "- logout".
Then click on "Edit Community Profile", then add your location where it says "Location".

Technical Pro HPT990 (Takstar Hi2050), 60-Ohm, $69.99.
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=TPHPT990&ref=froogle&omid=103&CAWELAID=1503880855
Should at least be decent to fair plugged into the headphone jack of the TiHD (Titanium HD).
Can always order a headphone amplifier at a later date, if needed.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 12
PurpleAngel, considering he isn't limited budget wise, getting a HDJ-2000 would be significantly better, and balanced enough to handle most genres with ease.

Getting a headphone amp like a PA2V2 or a Fiio E11 is quite easy, with little additional shipping costs for just about all places.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
PurpleAngel, considering he isn't limited budget wise, getting a HDJ-2000 would be significantly better, and balanced enough to handle most genres with ease.

Getting a headphone amp like a PA2V2 or a Fiio E11 is quite easy, with little additional shipping costs for just about all places.

If he is willing to spend $250 on a headphone, that's cool.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
That makes it a bit harder to do recommendations, since there isn't really a true general purpose set of headphones.

From your list, the HDJ-2000 is the best and surprisingly balanced for a DJ set.

What characteristics do you like more about sound? Bass, mids, treble?

I've never seen that amp before, so I can't give any feedback on it.

Mids and treble are more important to me than bass.

I'm from Argentina, so it has to be something from that list unfortunately, if i find something else i will add it, but i doubt i'll find Beyerdynamics or  high end Sennheiser, etc. here. I'm lucky that i found those four. Since they are rather expensive here i wanted to know which one is the best.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
Mids and treble are more important to me than bass.

I'm from Argentina, so it has to be something from that list unfortunately, if i find something else i will add it, but i doubt i'll find Beyerdynamics or  high end Sennheiser, etc. here. I'm lucky that i found those four. Since they are rather expensive here i wanted to know which one is the best.

If you're limited to the headphones you listed, then I stand for the HDJ-2000 recommendation, they're the most balanced set from the list. However, do keep in mind they all have emphasized bass, especially the first three.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #10 of 12
Well it seems the HDJ 2000 was never in stock, a mistake they said
mad.gif
, and the HDJ 1000 is severely overpriced (U$D 425
eek.gif
), but i found a Audio Technica ATH-A700. After reading several reviews i think this are the cans that suit me best. They cost half the price of the HDJ 1000.
 I still have to find and external amp here, until then i'll connect them directly to the Titanium HD. I will buy the Sytche KAMA Bay Amp mini and see how good (or bad) it is though.

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/audio-acessory/kama-bay-amp-mini.html

Thanks all for your help!

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 12
Wow, that HDJ-1000 is seriously overpriced. The ATH-A700 are nice headphones, a bit different in terms of signature, but good nonetheless.

The Titanium HD does have output amplification for headphones up to 330Ohm, and considering the ATH-A700 specs, you're bound be able to drive them properly straight from the Titanium HD. But do report back on how the headphones sound both straight from the soundcard as well as after adding the amp.

And good luck with your purchase :)

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 12
Sorry about the delay but i wanted to test the amp for a few days before jumping to conclusions.

I bought the Audio Technica ATH A700, they sound great, i love them
atsmile.gif
, much much better sound than before. And they are super comfortable!. The Titanium HD has no problems to drive them properly as you said.

I bought the amp anyway since i was curious. The only difference i can hear is that using the same equalization, the Titanium HD is a bit punchier, but the difference is very small, nothing that some eq can't fix, but i'm no expert in the amp subject. I did found some reviews about the Kama Bay Amp, it's not the Kama Bay Amp mini i bought, but the circuits seems to be similar.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/scythe_sda1100_e.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/scythe_sda1000_e.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back