Help! Tell me a tale of heroic overcoming of listening fatigue!
Feb 2, 2007 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jeffreybar

100+ Head-Fier
So I've had my E500s for about 10 days now, having purchased them as an upgrade from my long-loved E4s. The more I listen to them, the more I am convinced that the E500 sound is for me: they are just a vastly-superior earphone to the E4. But, and it's a big but, I get a huge headache if I listen to them for more than about 20 minutes. I've tried everything I can think of: turning down the volume somewhat, EQ, crossfeed, taking a couple days off from the E500s and going back to the E4s (and holy crap when I came back to the E500s, the difference in SQ was even huger!). And I think my tolerance has improved a *little*...I can probably make it 30 minutes now without getting a headache.

I really want to keep the E500s...to my ears, they blow the E4s out of the water in terms of SQ, but I just can't deal with the headaches. Will it get better? Has anyone had a similar experience with listening fatigue and found that the cans causing the problem eventually became tame and listenable? Or should I just give up and throw them on the for sale forums now?

Feb 3, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 9
I've had similar problems with the SR80, CD3000 and SA5000. Once the problem started, I hate to say, it never went away. I believe there's some initial adjustments to headphones and IEMs generally, but I suspect you're already past those. As cotdt said though the amp and espeically DAC can play a big part.

And some software crossfeed such as Canz3D is very good (and so adjustable it's may be better than any hardware solution I've so far found - the natural crossfeed in the Orpheus and the K1000 design exempted.)

Feb 3, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 9
The E500 have never given me a headache. I found them to be the most comfortable IEM yet. Have you tried using them with the foamies instead of rubber tips?

Feb 3, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 9
Well, I don't think that crossfeed alone is the problem. I never listened to my E4s with crossfeed and never had any listening fatigue problems...I just was trying it with the E500s in the hope that it might help.

Also, I'm not going to be spending any more on DACs/amps/etc. Aside from the fact that I'm a big believer that a portable rig should be as minimal as possible, I just don't have the cash to blow on it. The E500s were at the top of my budget (a little above the top, actually) as it was.

Oh, and regarding tips, actually I probably should run through my collection of tips just to make sure that it doesn't help...but it's not really a comfort issue, it's a sonic one. I'm using the same tips I used on my E4s (Ety grey foamies).

Feb 3, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 9
Given the E500's mellow sonic signature, I can't imagine it's the sonics causing the headaches. I would think it's a fit issue.

Feb 3, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given the E500's mellow sonic signature, I can't imagine it's the sonics causing the headaches. I would think it's a fit issue.

Weird, huh? I totally agree with you. But I don't see how it could be a fit issue, since I'm wearing the same tips I always have (well, same tips I've worn for about 2 years now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back