[HELP] - Studio Monitor Continually Cuts Out
Sep 8, 2016 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Scrivs

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

For the last couple of days I've been having issues with one of my KRK RP5 monitors and I was hoping that any of you could either give me some advice, or perhaps tell me what's causing it.

I've been using these monitors for about 7 to 8 years now, but recently my left monitor has continually been cutting in and out.
What I mean by that, is that it seems to be losing power somehow, because when this happens it produces a slight popping sound, or crackle, followed by a second of silence, at which point it comes back again.
This happens very sporadically - it could happen multiple times in a row, or it just won't happen for several minutes.

Right now, for instance, when the monitor is powered on but not playing any music, I can hear it popping and crackling. Sometimes just once, at other times up to five times in a row.

Because I had the impression that it was losing power, I thought that maybe the power cord was faulty. So I switched the power cords up between the two monitors, to see whether or not the right monitor would be having the same issue this time, but it didn't. The left monitor is still acting the same as it did before.
Having given it some more thought I figured that this made sense, of course, because power indicator on the monitor isn't actually blinking or turning off when the monitor cuts out - signifying that it's still powered up.

Now, to give you all a better impression of what exactly it is that I'm talking about, I will attach a 2,5min recording (<4MB MP3) that I made of my left monitor playing a Jazz song in which you can clearly hear it cutting out at several points in the song.
(I was forced to put it in a .zip file in order to attach it, I hope you don't mind.)

https://soundcloud.com/silens-music/studio-monitor-issue/s-dQ8tx

So, obviously, my question is if anyone of you perhaps has any idea what could be causing this? Any input from your end would really be greatly appreciated.

I have the following setup: I use the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Soundcard in my PC, to this I have connected the Dr. DAC DX2 using an RCA cable, this then sends the output of my PC to my KRK RP10 subwoofer through another set of RCA cables, and then, finally, my two monitors are plugged into the Output of the subwoofer using XLR's.

I use these monitors for both music production and casual listening so you can imagine how much this bothers me.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

EDIT: Another thing that I have noticed and forgot to mention is that the monitor doesn't fully cut out. In other words, when it cuts out, most of the times it seems like the tweeter is still acting the way it's supposed to, but that only the 5" woofer cuts out. I say this because I don't hear a big difference in my highs during a cut-out, just a significant loss in my mids and lows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back