Help! Still cant decide which Grado. Going insane.
Jun 29, 2004 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dddmt

New Head-Fier
Hi. I've previously posted here asking similar questions, and I thank everybody for their help. But now there is some foginess I need cleared up. I'm investing in a portable rig, from scratch:

I'm planning on buying buying a PDCP (not sure which one yet, probally the iRiver 550), some Grado80's, and a Xin SuperDual.

I want the most In-Yer-Face DnB experience I can get for my money, because I am not going to be able to go to shows regulary for a couple of years because im going to school soon.

My question is, would it make sense to pay the extra 85 dollars for the Grado225's and just get a gold plated patch cable for it (1/4th to mini)?

I'm currently working temp jobs at minimum wage (7.16/h). I -will- break my back to keep close to DnB for the next couple of years, but to what end? Im talking bang-for-yer-buck.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 29, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 10
i am not a fan of the 225's but i think i will marry the 325's..

the sr-80s hold there own in my line-up even if I have the 325's and ps-1's

I would try them out first, buy thru a place that if you dont like them you can return them in 30 days, like todd ( ttvj.com )

if I started out with the sr-80s I wouldnt of bought what I have bought, they to me are great headphones.
as long as you are planning a amp and a nice source then your set.

oh by the way you might get more replys posting this in the "headphone" section to

Jun 29, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 10
i tried posting in the headphones section. then i reposted here, and youre the first useful reply i have gotten. oh one guy in the headphone section was a junglist, but he recomended ultrasone hfi-700's
any thoughts?

Jun 29, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 10
I have a pair of Grado SR80s that I use w/ my Xin Supermini through the line out of my paortabes so I sort of have a similar set-up to what you are describing. My overall impression is that they are fantastic. If you are going to using you headphones mainly with a portable and he Xin amp, I highly recommend them.

The good:

Excellent detail and dynamic range for the price
Comfortable once broken in to your head shape/size
Sound and feel better with replacement pads
The high impact of rock is conveyed quite nicely w/ drums and guitars highlighted particularly
Also, quite nice with acoustic and jazz music too (their inherent brightness is not as apparent with this music)

The bad:
Can be very bright particulary at high volumes, but detailed enough to convey energy of music at lower volumes (when using amp) then with low-fi headphones or other budget headphones. This brightness can be harsh at times, depending on music, and thus, can be fatiguing.
Cord a bit long for portable use, but not so that makes it super difficult to carry around with the slack stowed away
Slightly big headphones for portable uses and definitely not incognito

Overall, for the price, I think the 80's are an excellent choice, and with the Superdual, you should easily be able to coax out all of their potential. I think the Xin amps are a perect match for the 80's. However, be aware that the 80's are "portable," but just barely. I carry mine around without much problem, but if you are used to small and/or foldable headphones, the Grado's may become a nuisance.

If you will be using your headphones mainly in the house with a powerful amp, you should think of spending quite a bit more money ($150 or more) on higher end phones.

If you want to forego the amp to add more portablility, than go for the Grado SR60's, which will sound better without an amp. If you are dedicated to using an an amp, then I really think the 80's are a great choice, because of what I said before...their potential is easily reached, because they don't require a high-end (and very expensive) amp to sound really good.

Jun 29, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Oh...I forgot to mention the soundstage. I find that the soundstage on the 80s to be fairly non-expansive, but it depends on the CD you are listening to. I have been suprised at times at how you can locate sounds 3-Dimensionally on the Grados, some of which seem to be be quite far from your head, but at other times it disappoints in this respect.

The best way I can describe it is that it feels like you are standing on stage facing the crowd. It could just as easily feel like you are standing on stage facing the band, as it is up to your brain were you orient yourself on stage. I generally get the impression that I am facing the crowd, however, because I get the feeling the sound is more behind me than in front. The Xin feed will make the sound feel more in-front but I don't like using it for the most part as you loss some detail and intimacy.

In general the sound is very upfront and intimate, although at times they seem to expand a bit depending on the source you are listening to. For instance, sometimes I listen to (and watch, of course) movies with my 80s and they convey sounds that are behind, in front, and to the side. I was amazed that they could do this as I never expected "cheap" headphones like the 80s to be able to handle 3-D sounds like that, but they often do. The first time I noticed it I actually turned around to look behind me cause I thought someone was coming down the stairs.
eek.gif

Also, the xin feed, which is standard on the Superdual I believe, is a nice feature and comes in handy with CDs that use a lot of stereo seperation. I don't use it much, but on CD's like the Beatles' White Album and and John Coltrane's Giant Steps it helps create a less directional and fractioned soundstage and reduces listening fatigue greatly. The xin feed ain't the best at it, but it is a usable feature.

Overall, I think you will be VERY HAPPY with you choices (XIN amp and 80s). I say go for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want to save a bit more money, then may I suggest the Xin Supermini. It is cheaper than the Superdual and will compliment the 80's nicely. If you are using it with the 80's, just get the base model and add the Xin feed option if you listen to a lot of music that has EXTREME channel seperation. However, if you don't listen to music like that, then forego the Xin feed too. It starts at $120.

Also, consider getting the Grados used. They are durable phones and should stand the test of time. this will save you some money too.

I'm listening to London Calling by The Clash right now through my Supermini and 80's attached to my PCDP and loving every bloody minute of it.

Cheers
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 12:10 PM Post #8 of 10
Go with the 80s! They're very big and loud sounding, and the 225s are even slightly tamer and less aggressive when I used them with the RA-1 amp and a Sony PCDP.

Jun 30, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 10
Agree with a lot that has been said. I much prefer the Alessandro MS1 (best bang for buck) & Grado SR225 to the SR80, but that's because they're less in your face/smoother on top. If you want the opposite, stick with the SR80 or move up to the SR325 and stop there.

Jun 30, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dddmt
Hi. I've previously posted here asking similar questions, and I thank everybody for their help. But now there is some foginess I need cleared up. I'm investing in a portable rig, from scratch:

I'm planning on buying buying a PDCP (not sure which one yet, probally the iRiver 550), some Grado80's, and a Xin SuperDual.

I want the most In-Yer-Face DnB experience I can get for my money, because I am not going to be able to go to shows regulary for a couple of years because im going to school soon.

My question is, would it make sense to pay the extra 85 dollars for the Grado225's and just get a gold plated patch cable for it (1/4th to mini)?

I'm currently working temp jobs at minimum wage (7.16/h). I -will- break my back to keep close to DnB for the next couple of years, but to what end? Im talking bang-for-yer-buck.

Thanks in advance.

i won't be much help here but

i have a pair of sr60's ...and i listen to alot of drum and bass and breakcore as well...and it sounds wonderfull through those cans....sr80's would prolly do you fine but if you are tight on cash i wouldn't dissmiss the sr60's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back