Help! Spoiled by Windows Vista!
Jan 11, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by impressive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is your system specs? if you like the sound... then you should stick to it..
i like XP more coz i have all these plugins (4front, CSII etc..) installed on the WMP which donot work in vista.. so i use XP

Yes, thank you, I'll stay with it. I really-really like it. It is a new breath out of my sound system. Just after Win XP it seemed so good, so now is even better overall because I got that contrast in front of my eyes, sorry, I mean ears.
biggrin.gif

Hardware Specs? here are the most important parts:
CPU: Intel Pentium DualCore e2140@1.60Ghz
Memory: 2GB DDR2@ 667Mhz
Video: Geforce 7900GT
HDD: some sata II
Audio: Chaintech AV 710 + Sennheiser PX100 headphones.
Motherboard: Intel chipset
PSU: 550w
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Relatively true, probably. Maybe it's a synergy thing? I've tried all the possibilities and found what's best for me, eventually.
smily_headphones1.gif

If the card and Vista resample to 96Khz by default, why the're is a difference with and without resampler(96Khz)? With resampler the sound is more crossfeed like, widened and I like it, infact.
Still, why there is the difference? That means the resampler interferes between the card/OS which already run those 96Khz, makes no sense.
confused.gif

It has to do with the signal routing regarding where the resampling actually happens, because as you say, if it's already at 96 kHz, the other processes operating at 96 kHz should just let the signal through without modification. Here's the route:

Foobar's resampler -> AV-710 drivers' resampler -> Vista resampler

Since Vista will upsample to 96 kHz no matter what, the earliest and best point to upsample is in Foobar, as you're doing. Depending on which resampler plug-in you have, Foobar will have the best resampling, followed by Vista's internal algorithms, and finally the AV-710 drivers. The drivers are built for speed and thus have the poorest resampling algorithms; they're what you're hearing when you disable Foobar's resampler because they're the next resampler in line.

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

infinitesymphony, So it makes! sense then. I have the default resampler, in the foobar2000 . Is this the best one(PPHS)?

The general consensus seems to be that PPHS is the fastest but has the lowest quality. Most people seem to use the SRC (Secret Rabbit Code) resampler with "Best Sinc Interpolator" enabled. There's a third resampler called SSRC, and it's what Foobar used before PPHS; it might fit into second place.

I think it's worth trying them all and listening for yourself. SSRC is in a 7zip file, which is readable by WinRAR... Don't worry if you can't unzip it, since SRC is the important one.

Jan 12, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The general consensus seems to be that PPHS is the fastest but has the lowest quality. Most people seem to use the SRC (Secret Rabbit Code) resampler with "Best Sinc Interpolator" enabled. There's a third resampler called SSRC, and it's what Foobar used before PPHS; it might fit into second place.

I think it's worth trying them all and listening for yourself. SSRC is in a 7zip file, which is readable by WinRAR... Don't worry if you can't unzip it, since SRC is the important one.

Much appreciated, thanks. Just the info I needed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Cool, Already using it, SRC one- %20 CPU usage which is very ok..
The sound is alive and more spot-on, so I don't bother about any CPU suffering until it gets the full %100!
biggrin.gif

I see there is an 192Khz option, is it worth using overall? I know the chaintech driver has it as part of Hi2ch.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

I see there is an 192Khz option, is it worth using overall? I know the chaintech driver has it as part of Hi2ch.

Nah... Technically, the best resampler shouldn't affect the sound at all, so it's a good idea to only upsample as much as is necessary, which in the case of Vista is 96 kHz.

Ideally, you'd want to pass the 44.1 kHz stream without modification, but it's not possible in Vista (or the 5.20b drivers) at the moment--at least not with the AV-710.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Nah... Technically, the best resampler shouldn't affect the sound at all, so it's a good idea to only upsample as much as is necessary, which in the case of Vista is 96 kHz.

Ideally, you'd want to pass the 44.1 kHz stream without modification, but it's not possible in Vista (or the 5.20b drivers) at the moment--at least not with the AV-710.

I tried it just now, it was bloody interesting anyways. It was a total success, although my CPU went from %20 to %40-50.
biggrin.gif

I believe Vista is linked directly to the card. I made a photo for you to see what I mean. Whenever I change sample rate in chaintech driver it changes automatically in Vista CP to that value.
The sound is Amazing too! Just Try with .WAV!!!
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

It's soo articulated, relaxed and sharp at the same time, but not synthetic BTW, though maybe my PX100s are that dark and smooth that I like it so much, the soundstage is also great.
Here's the photo I just took, during that I was playing a song from Alizee's Mes Courants Electriques..., but that's not the best music to judge on sound quality and harmonics. I listen now to Govi and.. is it amazing or what!?
smily_headphones1.gif

http://i007.radikal.ru/0801/ee/a0a7382baa15.jpg

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #24 of 28
Wow, believe me this card is so much better than Audigy 2 it's not even funny now, it was funny though until I tried 192000 Hz mode and the SRC resampler in foobar2000.
biggrin.gif

Too bad I can't show you how beautiful and natural it sounds. Depth and air are probably the best words to describe it, NEVER distorts, one moment, though, I thought I saw it, nope! that was just the recorded stuff.
biggrin.gif

Gonna get out my other headphose now. I've got some fun sounding Koss and Etymotic, also Senns HD497s, although Etys er4 S are not for chaintech av710, I need an amp there for sure, tiny sound is no good.
smily_headphones1.gif

infinitesymphony, you just made my day.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

I believe Vista is linked directly to the card. I made a photo for you to see what I mean. Whenever I change sample rate in chaintech driver it changes automatically in Vista CP to that value.

Ah, okay, then there's a good chance that Vista doesn't resample audio at or above 96 kHz, since it seems to be sync'ing with your card. I'm still running XP, so I have to learn second-hand about how Vista handles audio.

My personal preference is 44.1 kHz with no resampling, but since that's not an option in Vista, the way you have it setup now is probably the best.

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #26 of 28
I'm also hearing sounds that I never heard/noticed before while watching videos online. There is This particular video that brings me new audio sensations. The audience clapping is more front side and the detailed sounds from audience were never noticeable before in this video, I can hear what they are "saying". It's like I am in the center of all that's happening. Very.. very Nice!
eek.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

I can't use Windows Vista much longer because it's a peice of ****, but the sound is better than with XP and I like it alot.
Vista would be very cool if it weren't so sluggish, especially at startup.

I'm using Vista Home Basic on my laptop and it runs completely stable and quick after I changed a few settings. notebookreview.com has a thread was extremely useful for speeding up vista for me.here

Jan 13, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using Vista Home Basic on my laptop and it runs completely stable and quick after I changed a few settings. notebookreview.com has a thread was extremely useful for speeding up vista for me.here

Thanks for the hint, I also keep in mind there is pre SP1 released by Microsoft that speeds up the OS, as they declare. Gotta try both and I'll start with the service pack to make sure it installs without my interference whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back