Help Sourcing Enclosure
May 29, 2006 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dsavitsk

MOT: ECP Audio
Hammond makes a cute little enclosure, the 1455C802, which is just right for holding a 50mm x 80mm circuit board. However, it is very thin (23mm outside), so a board with any components that stick up more than about 15mm won't fit. This, sadly for my purposes, includes Panasonic EJV pots.

So, I am looking for another enclosure that will hold the same size board, but that is slightly thicker allowing slightly taller components. In an ideal world, I'd like another extruded aluminum one like the hammond, but I'd be happy to find a plastic case that would also hold the boards. There are not mounting holes in the board, so being able to slide in like in the hammond, or having some system to hold it in place would be good. Also, there are board mounted connectors on the front and back, so there need to be flat drillable panels on both sides. Ideas?

As a side note, a shorter pot might also work, if there are any good suggestions, and a way to easily obtain them in the U.S., though there are various TO-220 chips that are also too tall, so this is not the best option.

Thanks.

-d

May 29, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 10
x2 on boxenclosures. looks quite nice and Allied carries em.

May 29, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 10
Is this for your latest portable NOS dac with built in headamp? Why not use an Alps RK09 pot, switched or unswitched, if you can source that, or maybe the 9mm Alpha carbon pot that some have raved about, which is available from Jaycar I believe. Is there space to topple the TO220 parts, or could you use something else, like sot223, without too much compromise? That box enclosure looks ok to me, but not nearly as pocketable, both because of size and shape.

May 30, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole
Is this for your latest portable NOS dac with built in headamp?

Yes. Prototype boards showed up last week. i am still waiting on some parts to find out if it works..

Quote:

Why not use an Alps RK09 pot, switched or unswitched, if you can source that, or maybe the 9mm Alpha carbon pot that some have raved about, which is available from Jaycar I believe.

I was hoping for something from digikey/mouser to make sourcing easier, but I'll look into those. I used an alpha once and it was terrible, but maybe i'll have to give it another shot. With a little more fiddling, it seems the EJV can be coaxed into the hammond, but it requires some pushing and the pot touches the top of the case, which I think is okay.

Quote:

Is there space to topple the TO220 parts, or could you use something else, like sot223, without too much compromise? That box enclosure looks ok to me, but not nearly as pocketable, both because of size and shape.

There is only one and I think it can be bent over. One the next revision I may try a different part that is a bit smaller.

Agreed that the box enclosure is a little big. It is just wide enough that the pcb won't slide on the rails.

Thanks for the suggestions, if anyone comes across any others let me know.

-d

May 31, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #9 of 10
hammond has some new enclosures you may not have hread about
R250AssmB.jpg

Data sheet

1455B1202_B.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back