Help: Soundcard solution for macbook pro
Apr 9, 2008 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

WiredCon

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a decent soundcard that I can use with macbook pro (intel core 2 duo). I know MBP comes with express slot but been told that most manufacturers dont support mac osx.

Is there any simple way to improve sound quality on MBP? I carry my laptop around frequently and want to find a potable solution, if possible. I'll be using headphones to listen to music.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 15
One solution is a USB DAC/amp like the HippoHiFi Bloat. There are also many other USB DAC/amps that have more features. If you do end up going for the Bloat and your headphones have lower than a 60ohm impedance make sure to tell this to the makers before buying it (so they can customize the gain).

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 15
I have not seen any "sound cards" for the expansion card slot for the Macintosh.

However, there are a plethora of USB, and Firewire DAC/AMPs which are available for the mac. These take the music out of the laptop, still in digital form, and do the conversion to music in the external unit.

Either look for the raging forum threads about the current flavor of the month, firewire based Apogee Duet, that the various reviews, and lately very nice comparison reviews of the several popular USB units. (examples being the Pico, Predator, and the above mentioned Bloat)

A bunch to digest on this subject, they are typically smallish USB units that allow you to plug them into the MAC, work right away, without drivers or setting, and listen thru your headphones.

Do some looking here on the boards, when your head stops hurting, and your eyes work again, compare your budget to the offering. Some might even be available for review. (Duet at Guitar Center?)

Have fun, good luck, and sorry about your wallet.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 15
vhob-Thanks for your tips. I'm looking through different types of Dac/Amp products now.

Bones- Yeah, I'm already regretting that I got into this madness. Hopefully, either I hit the jackpot, or find a cure for this "disease"

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 15
I have a mac laptop and i tried to get one before i realised ho a dac could be much better than any sound card and also in some cases cheaper. If i were you id forget it and take a look at a dac.

Take a look at the beresford dac, its good n cheap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WiredCon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a decent soundcard that I can use with macbook pro (intel core 2 duo). I know MBP comes with express slot but been told that most manufacturers dont support mac osx.

Is there any simple way to improve sound quality on MBP? I carry my laptop around frequently and want to find a potable solution, if possible. I'll be using headphones to listen to music.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 15
I can second the beresford in s/q for money. However I think the apogee duet might suit you very well. I can't give it my full approval, as it arrives tomorrow, but the reviews speak very highly of it in terms of sound quality and value for money.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 15
I always thought that Apogee duet as an audio gear for musicians. If I'm not even gonna utilize its core ability as a music gear, is it still worth its cost for just using it as a dedicated DAC over any other portable Dac/amp, such as Ibasso D2?

Since I 've never had a chance to listen to any of these portable amps, I can't really make up my mind.

hmm...

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

I always thought that Apogee duet as an audio gear for musicians. If I'm not even gonna utilize its core ability as a music gear, is it still worth its cost for just using it as a dedicated DAC over any other portable Dac/amp, such as Ibasso D2?

In my opinion, it's worth the money. I haven't used cheaper alternatives, though.

Don't worry... I'm not a shill, just a fanboy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 15
Yes, I'd love a job with apogee but I don't think that's very likely, mostly as I have little understanding of electronics. But think of the free gear!
rolleyes.gif

Edit: Duet still hasn't arrived! ARRGH.

Apr 12, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #12 of 15
Jaska- Is that mean Apogee Duet offers better SQ over Ibrasso D2? How about Headamp Pico?

Tarkovsky- It would be very nice of you if you could share your experience later when you get your Duet.

Majid- What headphones are you gonna pair it up with Headamp Pico?

If I'm gonna be using Shure 530, is it still worth to purcahse external Dac/Amp? Considering it is an IEM, I'm a bit skeptical that I would gain much. But again, I wouldnt know. hmmm.

By the way, is Duet small enough to pack it along my laptop and carry it around? Does it requite a dedicated AC Power outlet? Or, just firewire connection through laptop?

Apr 12, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Jaska- Is that mean Apogee Duet offers better SQ over Ibrasso D2? How about Headamp Pico?

I haven't heard either of the other two products.

Quote:

By the way, is Duet small enough to pack it along my laptop and carry it around? Does it requite a dedicated AC Power outlet? Or, just firewire connection through laptop?

It is fairly small and flat, yet quite heavy for its size so it doesn't slide around on the desk. It's very good as far as design is concerned, and I definitely prefer that it uses a standard 1/4" headphone jack as opposed to mini jacks.

Power is delivered via FireWire bus power, so only a simple FireWire cable is used to connect it to a Mac.

Apr 12, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 15
since you have a macbook pro why not utilize the optical output path to a dac if you can swing it. i use a headroom portable micro amp/dac with a toslink cable and the sound is very very good. much better than usb connection.
especially with movies. the dialog is lifted and very present.

just a thought. dunno how cheap amp/dacs can be had with optical inputs or anything. but if a predator or pico or apogee is on the list there should be choices at that price point.

i also have a bithead i connect usb to my windows laptop and it works nicely too. nothing like the micro though but still nice..

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, a Duet is wayyy sexier than a Pico.

I have a MacBook Air (used to have a 3G MBP) that only has USB, so the Duet is not an option. It does look cool, though, but I do all my recording using either a Blue Snowball USB mic or an Olympus LS-10 field recorder, so the analog inputs are wasted for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back