Help soldering mono jack!
Aug 4, 2018 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hungry ghost

New Head-Fier
Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong forum — I searched online but can't find a guide how to wire up the cables that go into the L and R on my Sennheisers.

I've done this with a stereo jack at the source end (L,R,ground), but can't work out what goes where here. Which is the ground, and where does this get soldered?

Any advice appreciated :ok_hand:

Mono%20jack_zpsrz6orb7e.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 3
The end pole or tip in the picture is positive. The small area ring just under the threaded neck and above the black plastic (don't melt it) separator is ground.

Most likely the green (left channel?) wire is positive and copper is ground. However, it looks like the wires are litz or enamel coated so either use a soldering pot or jack up the soldering iron temperature to around 700 degrees F to melt off the litz coating enough so that a small amount of solder fills the wire end and is nicely tinned.

Add a little solder to the end pole and ground ring on the mono connector. Then, solder the appropriate wire tips to the the connector. It's best to apply some hot glue around the connector and over the solder joints to reinforce them before you screw on the mono connector barrel.

Good luck and have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back