Help!! Shure e5c vs. Audio Technica ATH-A900
Apr 19, 2007 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dealmaster00

100+ Head-Fier
So...I have always been an IEM/Earbud kinda guy. I have owned a ton of different models, including Rivet, EP-630, EX71, EX81, CX300, e2c, etc. Well, I have been reading head-fi a lot the past week and I decided that I wanted to try something new; I wanted to buy some headphones. I looked around and decided that the A900 seemed great for me. Some called it "the best closed headphone without the need for an amp." The fact that it is a closed headphone is also good because it suits my current environment. I figured I would purchase an amp later (maybe a year or so) and then trade the A900's with something a bit better (maybe DT-990s).

THEN I saw a great deal on the shure e5c. The best (read: most expensive) IEM I have owned was the e2c, and I wasn't a huge fan because I felt the bass output was a little lacking (I'm not a basshead but I do like a noticeable bass presence, if you know what I mean). From what I've read the e5c has a lot better bass than the e2c. Actually, it seems a lot better at everything.

So, the price difference is ~$150 for the A900s vs. $240 for the e5cs. I don't mind paying the extra money for the e5cs. But I'm wondering just how much better the e5c's would be. Would you think it is enough of a difference to warrant the $90 difference?

Yeah, yeah, I know...sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 7
Well I wont comment on sound since I've owned neither. Just thought I could say this though, the A900 are really large headphones, so that might be quite a change for an IEM/earbud person.

Hope you'll get some better help with the sonics department
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The A900 have better sound quality than the E5c IMO. The premium you pay for an E5c is miniaturization and portability.

Oh, really? Wow, I didn't know that. I had always thought that the e5c had better quality. I would gladly welcome more opinions on the matter.
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The A900 have better sound quality than the E5c IMO. The premium you pay for an E5c is miniaturization and portability.

x2. I personally kept my large headphone choices to mid-level at most on purpose since I am mostly portable oriented and I didn't want to be downgrading when putting in my IEMs. Still surprised that the likes of Triple.fi 10 and ER4S don't surpass the CD-780 that I got off ebay for $35 shipped. I throw out soundstage since that's not fair to compare that, but still not quite as good in most other areas. IMO, you need to go custom to beat an A900.

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 7
I personally (and I know a lot of others would) take the E4C to the E5C any day. The price is a lot closer to that of the A900, and the sound is probably closer too. And from what I've read I think I'd even prefer the sound of the E4C to the A900. But that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back