HELP; shure e4c, UM2, or ety 4p/s
Jul 31, 2006 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

catsoup

Head-Fier
So I know there seems to be an IEM comparison thread just about every week, but they usually have to do directly with cost. I am trading a pair of grado sr225s for my first real pair of IEMs, and i dont know what to do.

I love the smoothness of my senns, but also the clarity of the grados.

I like bass, but not excessively, I like even sound.

so;
um2
ety e4p/s
shure e4c
other?

Jul 31, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 4
From what I hear, the Ety are very analytical. The E4c are similar in that regard, but add a nice bass body and a slightly forward midrange. The UM2 have a more neutral presentation in which everything is flat. the E4c have a slight mids bump that gives it a little extra detail/clarity. That said, the UM2 highs are wonderful. The E4c, in comparison, are slightly rolled off. The bass on the UM2 is more Senn like, and not overly bloated as long as you do not use the comply tips, IMO.

IMO, the E4c have that last 2% of detail, but the UM2 have the first 10% of the bass that the E4c rolls off...if that makes any sense. They both have nd intimate sound.

Jul 31, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by catsoup
So I know there seems to be an IEM comparison thread just about every week, but they usually have to do directly with cost. I am trading a pair of grado sr225s for my first real pair of IEMs, and i dont know what to do.

I love the smoothness of my senns, but also the clarity of the grados.

I like bass, but not excessively, I like even sound.

so;
um2
ety e4p/s
shure e4c
other?

I have owned the UM2 and currently own the ER4P with S cable and e4c. They are quite different.

The ER4P is an outstanding monitor--you will hear everything in crisp detail, if that's what you're after. The form factor is definitely not to my liking--the earpieces extend from your ears and are quite obvious. They can't be worn comfortably under a properly snug motorcycle helmet, and they are probably the most microphonic IEM I've tried (i.e., the cord transmits lots of extraneous noise). They are very good for listening to certain types of classical music. Segovia through these things is breathtaking.

The UM2 I kept for a short while, but then returned them, downgrading to UM1s ($109 shipped, an unreal value). These were to be my motorcycle sound system, and it didn't make sense to pay for all the UM2 had to offer. I just needed something with a very low profile, that had decent sound. The UM1 proved to be much, much better than I expected. If I had to pick just one IEM for every purpose, the UM1 just might be it.

Now, I recently purchased the E4c and have been wearing them around for just a few weeks, and my initial impressions are that they have most of the clarity and richness and musicality of the E5c (which I had the opportunity to audition for two weeks a while back), but a better form factor and comfort level for all around use. The nozzles have been lengthened in the more recent models (like mine), which might not have improved the piece, as the body of the earpiece extends further from the ear canal, which makes them a bit more conspicuous.

If I had to do it over again, I would buy the UM1 and think about the rest while I decide whether or not to spend my cash on music and not hi-fi gear.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back