Help setting up Win 7 with Behringer DCX2496
Dec 9, 2014 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Shandit66

New Head-Fier
I’m in the process of building a pair of 3 way speakers, for home use, that will be tri-amped.  

I have a Behringer DCX2496 that I’d like to use as an active crossover.  

For playback there’s a dedicated Windows 7 PC that acts as a music server.  MediaMonkey is the media player software.
I’d like to use a sound card to provide digital out, to the DCX, which will then will split it into Sub, Mid, tweeter.

Ideally, the audio card should not convert the signal to analog then have the DCX convert back to digital so it can split for the crossover. 
Additionally I have an old (but working) LynxTwo-B lying around.  Would that do the trick?
If the Lynx is not a good match then I'll happily switch it for a more suitable one. 

Just not sure what the best way is to interface the two bits of hardware. 
'm not that familiar with all the digital interconnect methods.  More of a luddite analog guy looking for the best way forward. 

Thanks
Olaf

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm confused. I googled the Lynx Two-B, and I don't see that it includes any sort of a digital output, and I also don't see that the DCX2496 has any sort of digital input. So, I don't see how you are going to get digital signals to do anything for you with this HW.

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 4
The specs sheet is a little less than clear.  Apparently, there are different configurations offered for the analog in/outputs, but all come with a digital out.  In the manual is says:

Digital Audio
The XLR connectors on the L2Sync Cable, labeled DIGITAL IN and DIGITAL OUT
are used for AES/EBU and S/P DIF digital audio connections. Connect AES/EBU
devices directly and select AES/EBU Digital Format in the LynxTWO mixer application.
Connect to S/P DIF devices using the supplied XLR-to-RCA adapters. Select S/P DIF
Digital Format in the LynxTWO mixer application.

The the wiring harness has am XLR plug that says digital out.

I'm not that familiar with the alphabet soup of digital standards.  But i think it means that I should be able to plug this into the DCX's digital in and set the Lynx to provide AES/EBU.  From what I'm trying to understand, AES/EBU and S/P DIF are basically the same standard, but AES/EBU has more gain. 

Is that correct?

thanks

Dec 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Ahh - OK, yes, I *think* you are correct. I wasn't familiar with how pro audio uses digital data streams over XLR cables. I have to be honest, I suspect you might get better answers for the use of pro audio gear over at http://www.gearslutz.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back