Help setting up ASIO with Audiophile USB
Feb 8, 2007 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Borat

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got an M-Audio Audiophile USB to use as a transport to my DAC. I'm having trouble taking advantage of the M-Audio's ASIO capability. Can someone with experience guide me through the steps to get this working in foobar? I'm using version 0.8.3 and otachan's foo_output_asio 047a.

I can get it to look like it's playing in foobar, but no sound. The SPDIF is working because I can use it with waveOut. But I want bitperfect output so I want to use ASIO.

Also, what output data format are you supposed to use? Also, are you supposed to use a resampler? I use a non-oversampling DAC if that makes any difference.

Feb 8, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks. I saw that earlier, but I'm looking for advice on specific steps for the M-Audio Audiophile USB. M-Audio packages the Audiophile USB with their own ASIO drivers from usbaudio.com. I need help setting that up with foobar. It's different from using ASIO4All.

Feb 8, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 10
Do not despair however. I have been using USB-ASIO aswell. Maybe I will add a explanation of that in the thread I wrote.

The problem I think you are experiencing is that you can not access the configuration window of usb-audio using Foobar. Correct me if I am wrong here.

What I did was the wrong way no doubt. But it did work. I used WinAmp to change the settings for USB-ASIO and afterwards I started Foobar. If you've got everything right there it should work.

Edit: You do not have to use a resampler. You can if you really want to but it will not change the SQ.

Edit: I am trying to find the right way to do this. But that might take some time.

Feb 8, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Does the M-Audio ASIO only work on the analog and headphone output but not the SPDIF out?

For those that use an Audiophile USB connected to a separate DAC, can you describe your setup (software, settings)? Thanks.

Edit: I appreciate your efforts to help EnOYIN

Edit 2: In foobar, under "ASIO (dll version)" I get for device "M-Audio USB ASIO" and the headphone out of the Audiophile USB works, but the SPDIF is not working. If I select "waveOut" I get the choice of "Audiophile Out SP/DIF" and the SPDIF sends the signal to my DAC. I also have the option of "Audiophile Out SP/DIF" under "DirectSound" and it also works. But not for ASIO (dll version).

Feb 9, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I saw that earlier, but I'm looking for advice on specific steps for the M-Audio Audiophile USB. M-Audio packages the Audiophile USB with their own ASIO drivers from usbaudio.com. I need help setting that up with foobar. It's different from using ASIO4All.

I was always under impression that M-Audio use their own proprietary drivers. Are you saying that they just package one from usbaudio. Interfaces look completely different, not sure about the actual internals.
Wonder if I can somehow make them work with non M-Audio USB cards or DACs.

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
not sure about the actual internals.

Just downloaded and compared two, absolutely nothing in common.

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 10
Yeah, I was just going by this from the usbaudio website...

There's also a commercial version of the USB ASIO driver supporting Alesis' USB mixing desks, ART USB, Audiotrak EX / EX5 / Maya 5.1 USB (48kHz only), Audiotrak EX7 / Maya 7.1 USB, Audiotrak OPTOPlay, Creative Audigy 2 NX (48 kHz only / not on Mac OS X yet), Creative Extigy (48kHz only), Creative MP3+ (48kHz only), Creative SoundBlaster Live 24bit external, Digidesign Mbox, Elektor USB audio, Event EZBus, Edirol UA-1A (44.1kHz only), Edirol UA1-X, Edirol UA-3(D), Griffin iMic, Griffin PowerWave, HHB Portadisc, Hercules MusePocket (48kHz only), I-O Data D2VOX, Lexicon Omega, M-Audio Audiophile USB, Opcode DAT-/SonicPort (optical), Onkyo MSE-U33(HB), Onkyo SE-U55(X(S)), Philips Aurilium (48kHz only), Roland-ED UA-30, Sitecom's 5.1 Audio Adapter (48kHz only), SKNET Digital Sound Station, Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB (48 kHz only), Vivanco 5.1 Audio Converter (48kHz only) and Waveidea UASC-1 available at the online shop. Please download the demo.

I don't really know how the version available on the website and the one that comes with the Audiophile USB are alike though. But I figured that usbaudio created it for M-Audio to use. Maybe I'm wrong.

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #9 of 10
Man.... Those are completely different. I was not aware of this. I thought you were using the normal UBS-ASIO configuration menu.

I am really sorry but I can't help you threre. I do not own those drivers nor the device.

There should be some more people who know a bit more about this than me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back