Help Setting Up AirPort Express!
Oct 22, 2005 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Oski

1000+ Head-Fier
Okay, I just got an APX and went through the setup process without it being plugged into an ethernet/cable modem because I get wireless connection in my apartment building to my laptop.

My intention is to use it with my stereo to stream iTunes music. I show connection through my wirelesss manager but the APX just flashes orange and it doesn't show up on iTunes. Please help walk me through this.

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 26
Okay, I've reset the APX and went through the Setup Assistant again, this time having it connecting to my building's wireless network. Now the light is a steady green, but it's not picked up on either my wireless manager or in iTunes. I'm at a loss and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Is music streaming using AirTunes only available on Macs? I have a Windows XP laptop.

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 26
Make sure you have your prefs set in iTunes to stream to the APX. (Preferences-Advanced- Check "look for remote speakers connected through Airtunes")

When you do this there should be a box to select where to stream the music at the bottom of the iTunes window.

You can use Windows to stream to APX! I have only used a mac so my help may be limited, but hopefully that will get you going in the right direction!

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 26
I had a harder time than I expected getting it set up as well.

Here's what I would try off the top of my head:
Reset the thing again, and then plug it into your router w/ethernet cable. Once it is detected and set up, start the "airport admin utility" and you should see the airport on there and choose it and click configure. Then click on the airport tab and where it has the wireless mode change that to join an existing network, and enter the network name, and then make sure that you put in your network password under the security setting. Then unplug it from the router and give it a few minutes and see if it goes green. I hope this helps.

Also, just reread your first post---you MUST plug it into the router to configure it initially.

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by quackattack
Make sure you have your prefs set in iTunes to stream to the APX. (Preferences-Advanced- Check "look for remote speakers connected through Airtunes")

YEAH!!!! Thanks quackattack!!! That's what was missing, damn the instructions. It didn't mention that at all, just made it seem like that box would appear by itself.

I've been pulling my hair out for the last two hours. Thank you very much for taking the time to help!

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by dk123
I had a harder time than I expected getting it set up as well.

Here's what I would try off the top of my head:
Reset the thing again, and then plug it into your router w/ethernet cable. Once it is detected and set up, start the "airport admin utility" and you should see the airport on there and choose it and click configure. Then click on the airport tab and where it has the wireless mode change that to join an existing network, and enter the network name, and then make sure that you put in your network password under the security setting. Then unplug it from the router and give it a few minutes and see if it goes green. I hope this helps.

Also, just reread your first post---you MUST plug it into the router to configure it initially.

Yeah, it's actually not as easy as I thought it was going to be. My mistake initially was not having it join an existing network, instead trying to start a new network with it. Once I went through those steps, the light was green. But I spent another hour not being able to stream until quackattack's instructions above.

Thanks guys for the help. Have a great night!

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
YEAH!!!! Thanks quackattack!!! That's what was missing, damn the instructions. It didn't mention that at all, just made it seem like that box would appear by itself.

I've been pulling my hair out for the last two hours. Thank you very much for taking the time to help!

Glad I could help!
biggrin.gif
Now go enjoy your new Airport Express!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 26
Hehe are you going to feed your Overture with it?

Oct 22, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Okay, I've reset the APX and went through the Setup Assistant again, this time having it connecting to my building's wireless network. Now the light is a steady green, but it's not picked up on either my wireless manager or in iTunes. I'm at a loss and any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Is music streaming using AirTunes only available on Macs? I have a Windows XP laptop.

Have you installed the latest Airport updater for Windows? Looks like there have been some bugs and improvements to the Windows software with the new update. update link

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:28 PM Post #10 of 26
"Then unplug it from the router and give it a few minutes and see if it goes green."

I thought an Airport Expess only remains green if an ethernet cable is plugged directly into the Airport Express. When connected wirelessly, mine always just continues to flash yellow.

??

Oct 22, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 26
It is not necessary to plug it into a router to configure it. You can connect via most wireless software.

One problem with having it "join an existing network" is that it is in client mode. Your PC is only streaming to it through the router. It will not allow you to connect to it wirelessly That means that the signal path is PC to router, then router back to the AE. This caused me a lot of problems.

The best solution for me was to create a WDS. That lets me use the AE as a communication node on my network. Much more solid, with minimized network traffic. There are 2 requirements: you must have a compatible main router (I threw away the Linksys and got a Buffalo) and you must have admin access to the router to set it up.

Apple's setup assistant caused me nothing but trouble. The airport admin utility works fine, but it takes some hacking to get it functional.

fwiw, I have 3 airport express distributed around my house. I can connect to any one with a laptop, and stream music off a drive server that is connected to my router. Much hacking and swearing, but it has been slam solid since I figured out the tricks.

Oh, if you do a WDS, give the AE different names. This gives you manual control over what node you connect to.

edit: In general you want to minimize the laptop to network leg, since the laptop transmitter is the weakest link. In my setup I connect to the AE that is in the same room with me. My laptop sends to and recieves from the AE. The AE does the same with the main router (which has a large external antenna). My audio stream goes drive to main router via cable, transmit to AE, transmit to laptop, decode by itunes, stream back to AE, optical to a dac. I would love to eliminate a transmit leg, but I am dealing with lossless files and more than one computer. This setup works like a dream.

gerG

Oct 22, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Hehe are you going to feed your Overture with it?

Yup, and as much as the USB to Overture sounded really good, the APX to Overture is even better! Slightly more detail and more fleshed out. I had tried optical out to Overture before using the Turtle Beach soundcard and that was clearly not better than USB.

BUT FULL STOP!

I was happily listening to music through the APX and it just suddenly stopped. I reset it and while it's in the generic name as I'm about to go through the setup process, the unit starts streaming and working again (but it flashes orange). But right after I set everything back up it doesn't work again (but it's now steady green). WTH?

My wireless network is through my building which requires a monthly fee. Is this possibly a reason why it's not working when I'm setting it up to join my building's wireless? But my current laptop works fine on the network and it was never registered (though my old laptop still is, and I'm still paying the monthly fees). I mean I was listening to music last night and this morning. It was working for 3 hours!

PLEASE HELP!
confused.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmr
Have you installed the latest Airport updater for Windows? Looks like there have been some bugs and improvements to the Windows software with the new update. update link

Yup, I've downloaded that and it also updated the software automatically on my APX unit as well. But after a few hours of listening to music through the APX, it's just suddenly stopped...see my post right above. ??

Oct 22, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan
"Then unplug it from the router and give it a few minutes and see if it goes green."

I thought an Airport Expess only remains green if an ethernet cable is plugged directly into the Airport Express. When connected wirelessly, mine always just continues to flash yellow.

??

Flashing yellow typically means that it does not have a connection to the network, either wireless or wired. Mine stay happy green nightlights as long as my main router is up and running.

Green is not always good. There a couple of ways to send the thing off to join a network, but not allow any access. Incredible little torture device, that one.

gerG

Oct 22, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
One problem with having it "join an existing network" is that it is in client mode. Your PC is only streaming to it through the router. It will not allow you to connect to it wirelessly That means that the signal path is PC to router, then router back to the AE. This caused me a lot of problems.

gerG, so do you think the iTunes stream was actually going through my building's wireless router then to the AE? Now if I'm not using the AE as a network/internet node and purely as a audio streaming device, it's not as simple as the laptop sening the stream directly to the AE?

It's also strange that it worked for quite some time, just to stop. It also works now only if I try to set it up as if it is a new network connection. But in this case I really can't stand the flashing orange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back