Help! :) Sennheiser Momentum or the PSB M4U1 for a portable closed-back setup.
Jun 26, 2014 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Skolar311

100+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow Head-fi'ers!

I was hoping to reach out to someone who has experience with both the Sennheiser Momentum (Over-the-Ear) and the PSB M4U1 because I don't have the luxury of hearing these headphones side-by-side. I recently gave my sister my Shure SRH-840's (because I'm a nice brother!) which I used to use as a portable headphone, and now I've been using my Sennheiser HD600's on the road. Great for me, maybe not everyone else around me. I absolutely love the sound and comfort of my HD600's and was hoping for a "similar" on-the-road headphone but not expecting to match the over-all quality of the HD600. I also own the HiFiMAN HE-400's which I'm selling (PM me if interested) so I can purchase these headphones and because I think the HD600 is a superior headphone everywhere except the low-end and (maybe) the width of the soundstage. Anyway...

My biggest concerns in order are: Comfort > Sound Quality > Durability > Portability.
Music Sources: FiiO X3/E12 and Schiit Magni/Modi
Music Types: All types of Rock, EDM/Techno/Dubstep/Trance, Classical, Rap, just about everything except for Country

What I've heard/read:

Comfort - I've read that comfort for both are quite good, but some users have issues with the size of the ear cups. Which pair has the LARGER ear cup? Which one has the softer padding? My HD600's fit and feel perfect as a comparitive.

Sound Quality - I've read that the M4U1 sounds better and more natural.

Durability - I've read the Momentums are much more durable with less plastic. (I prefer the look of the Momentums as well)

Portability - To me it looks like the M4U1's are a little bulky, but I have no idea!

Any and all feedback is appreciated as always! And thanks in advance!

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 6
You need to put both on your head, since your #1 concern is comfort.  It's not only the size of the cup, but also the depth--plus other factors, most of which will have a unique interaction with your head and sensativities.

The PSB deliver a more accurate and neutral sound.  I much prefer them over the Momentum.  However, some preferred the Senn's more colored delivery.

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply. The only ones I can find locally are the Momentums, I'm not really sure where I can listen the M4U1's, unfortunately.
Depth isn't really so much of an issue as my SRH-840's pretty much sit flat on the ear, though I do like the depth of the HD600's.

I have a feeling if I go listen to the Momentums without being able to hear the M4U1's, then I'll just buy the Momentums if they're comfortable and still sound good. I just don't want to know that I could have bought something better for the same price :)

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 6
I took your advice and went on a hunt to find both sets of headphones, while I couldn't hear them side by side I did get a chance to wear both of them. It was an easy decision to go with the PSB's, I couldn't wear the momentums for more than one minute without getting uncomfortable. How they call those over the ear headphones are beyond me. Granted, I've always had a slightly larger set of ears :) but still, I was surprised by the discomfort.

Thanks again for your feedback, that really did make a difference in my decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back