*HELP* Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Sound issue on Computer
Jul 30, 2015 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ronann

New Head-Fier
Hi,

So I just received my sennheiser momentum 2.0 ivory in the mail, and first impressions are they are very solidly built, stylish and sound great on my iPhone 5. But the problem is when I plug them into my Asus Xonar DGX sound card they sound very tinny and very low volume. When I click the play/pause button the sound gets boosted but not to what I'd like. I have to hold the button in in order to get somewhat decent sound. Also plugging them into onboard doesn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas on this problem? If I can't fix it I'll most likely have to send them back as I need a pair of headphones to work on my computer too, but I don't want to.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 11
First, did you turn up the gain setting on the DG? Not sure what option that is, but that will help make it louder.

Next, did you disable your onboard sound through the bios?

If that doesn't help, try the Xonar Unified drivers instead of the default: http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Jul 30, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 11
Ok I installed the unified drivers, the sound is better at default, but still bad. When I hold in the play/pause button on the wire it gets louder and clearer, but still not as nice as I'd like. I have to hold the button in in order to get better sound. It appears to be a problem with the cable. Should I buy an aftermarket cable without inline controls?

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 11
  Ok I installed the unified drivers, the sound is better at default, but still bad. When I hold in the play/pause button on the wire it gets louder and clearer, but still not as nice as I'd like. I have to hold the button in in order to get better sound. It appears to be a problem with the cable. Should I buy an aftermarket cable without inline controls?

Do you have a headphone cable without the play/pause button (inline remote)? That button and builtin microphone is probably the cause of your problem. It is also possible that you didn't plug the wire all the way into the soundcard's jack.

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 11
No I don't have another cable without inline controls that are 2.5mm to 3.5mm. Sennheiser were too cheap to include it, yet they did on the 1.0 model.
Should I buy something like this?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgrade-Replacement-Sennheiser-Momentum-Headphones/dp/B00ZR9IB2S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1438291131&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+momentum+cable

or this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T6F8UGQ?&redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 11
No I do not have a cable that is 2.5mm to 3.5mm without inline controls. Sennheiser was too cheap to include a second cable without inline, but they did on the 1.0 model. Should I buy an aftermarket cable? I've looked at some cables but those are for the 1.0 model, I'm assuming they will work with the 2.0?

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 11
  No I do not have a cable that is 2.5mm to 3.5mm without inline controls. Sennheiser was too cheap to include a second cable without inline, but they did on the 1.0 model. Should I buy an aftermarket cable? I've looked at some cables but those are for the 1.0 model, I'm assuming they will work with the 2.0?

Don't know if cable from the original Momentum fits. Contact Sennheiser support with your issue. There are probably 4 connections on the plug that goes into the phone. Normally when one puts a TRRS plug into a TRS jack the Ring and Sleeve furthest from the Tip short together and it works out. That's why I thought that you might not have pushed the plug in all the way. Check into this.

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 11
I previously had a pair of PSB M4U 1's. I think when I used the cable with the inline controls on my computer the audio sounded bad, but when I switched the cable it sounded better.

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 11
Sounds like the output jack on your computer doesn't like those TRRS plugs.

If your Momentums work fine on your phone, seems highly likely that's the problem.

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 11
Yeah it would seem so. I will order a new cable for it and see how it works. If it doesn't work I might have to send them back.

I'm liking them so far. Very stylish, also some of the best build quality and craftsmanship I've seen on a pair of headphones. My PSBs build quality was garbage which led to a cracked headband and loose screw etc.Sound is pretty good so far on my phone.
I wanted a pair of headphones that I could use on my computer but to also do things like use them on my phone in bed and taking them on trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back