Help! Sennheiser HD600 lover looking to love Grados (SR225e, RS2e or RS1e)
Aug 9, 2016 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Pianist718

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

For over a year now I've been very pleased with Sennheiser HD600 powered by Schiit modi and vali combo. Before I settled on Sennheiser I remember testing maybe Grados sr80 and they were decent. Now, I have an opportunity to buy Grados very cheap and ... I am curious to try something new.

Music I listen to is mostly classical, jazz, pop, Sinatra, Bocelli, etc.

So .,.. how would these 3 pairs be different from HD600?

Grado SR225e = $139
Grado RS2e = $399
Grado RS1e = $499

or go simple with Grado SR125e = $105 ?

Thank you.

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi guys,

For over a year now I've been very pleased with Sennheiser HD600 powered by Schiit modi and vali combo. Before I settled on Sennheiser I remember testing maybe Grados sr80 and they were decent. Now, I have an opportunity to buy Grados very cheap and ... I am curious to try something new.

Music I listen to is mostly classical, jazz, pop, Sinatra, Bocelli, etc.

So .,.. how would these 3 pairs be different from HD600?

Grado SR225e = $139
Grado RS2e = $399
Grado RS1e = $499

or go simple with Grado SR125e = $105 ?

Thank you.

IMO you should build/buy some Symphones Magnums instead.

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 7
Given these prices, I think the SR225e are your best bet. Grado's sound very different than Sennheisers so it's probably not worth it to spend a lot on them if you don't know whether you like them or not. 

It seems quite a few people on this forum think the RS1e are worse than the RS1i which are also worse than the original RS1, so I would stay away from them for you first purchase. There's quite a difference in price between 225 and RS2 and I don't think you would appreciate the small bump in quality if you aren't already a Grado fan.

I say this as someone who used to own SR225i and currently owns RS2e.

Edit: HD600 are known as neutral-"dark" headphones, while Grados are usually considered very bright by comparison. You might enjoy them but you also just might hate them

Aug 9, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 7
  Given these prices, I think the SR225e are your best bet. Grado's sound very different than Sennheisers so it's probably not worth it to spend a lot on them if you don't know whether you like them or not. 

It seems quite a few people on this forum think the RS1e are worse than the RS1i which are also worse than the original RS1, so I would stay away from them for you first purchase. There's quite a difference in price between 225 and RS2 and I don't think you would appreciate the small bump in quality if you aren't already a Grado fan.

I say this as someone who used to own SR225i and currently owns RS2e.

Edit: HD600 are known as neutral-"dark" headphones, while Grados are usually considered very bright by comparison. You might enjoy them but you also just might hate them

Thank you for your feedback. The only reason why I thought about RS2e over SR225 is because someone wrote that the real beauty of Grados is when you go to the Reference series. You don't feel that way?

Aug 9, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 7

Thank you for your feedback. The only reason why I thought about RS2e over SR225 is because someone wrote that the real beauty of Grados is when you go to the Reference series. You don't feel that way?

I actually don't; I really found my SR225 to have the Grado signature sound, and every step up only offers marginal improvement.

Of course you'll find people on this forum who say the difference is 'day and night' but keep in mind those are the same people who claim to hear drastic differences between high-end DACs, so take that with a grain of salt.

If you have the money for it, then buy the RS2e, but I think the price is steep for headphones that differ so much from what you are currently accustomed to, and you will definitely get the 'Grado sound' with the SR225.

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #7 of 7

This man speaks the truth. Your first jump into Grados should be SR60/80 or higher into 225. 225 have all you could want in a Grado Can unless you prefer darkness like me (which I don't think so if you have the 600) I prefer the PS500e to be honest... better bass than most of the grado line and more treble roll off but tons of soundstage and detail. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back