Help: Sennheiser HD 515 Gaming, less than convincing Sound?
Mar 23, 2010 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mjenabi2

Head-Fier
Hello guys,

today i went down to my local electronics super store, and stumbeled on a pair of 515 Gaming headset, which was on sale for £25. which was too good to turn down.

Being a gammer, i really wanted this headphone for a long time, but would never spend £75 on it. so when i saw the price tag, i just bought it without thinking.

I brought it home, connected it to my Zune 80 and listened to a few songs. i have to say, it's the worst sound i have ever heard through a full sized headphone. it has improved obviously, but after 3-4 hours of music and 40 mins of pink noise, it has become clearer but the sound still lacks that warm signature of sennheiser headphones.

i tried to play games using it, it was impossible, the sound was awefull. played call of duty mw 2 for 10 mins and i got a headache. it's not natrual, very muddy, no bass, distorted ....

after checking some of the specs, i see that the impediance is 50 ohms. so i dont know if that contributes to the aweful sound im getting.

i am 100% sure it's not a fake and my gear is fine. any advice?

+ if there is a cheap but good enough amp, please introduce me to it if at all possible.

thanks

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 13
help? anyone?

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 13
sennheisers shouldnt sound that bad and its not likely to have been broken, but it could be a fake, no way to tell unless we get pics and compare to the real one.

It could also be a speakers factor. Try plugging directly into the computers headphone jack, hopefully it has one. My altec lansing speakers sound totally different and less powerful than direct connect with my pc.

I game right now with JVCHAS700s in MW2 for the pc. They work just fine, but its hard to pinpoint people. Mw2 ftw

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 13
well, like i said, they are 100% genuine, because i bought it from a super store and it was the last one, so they put a sale on it.

i left it on pink noise last night, approx 12 hours, i must say, it sounds much much much better now, and when i push the speakers closer to my ear, the sound inproves a lot. but for gaming sounds, it's still not convincing, but for music, it's amazing, the sound staging is like nothing i've heard before. probably needs more burning in.

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #6 of 13
Sometimes, with gaming, the recorded audio is not great. Battlefield Bad Company 2 pushes its re-design of the audio architecture. If you can, try playing that! Also, amps usually seem to help the cause- I'm using a porto amp right now.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Resonant_Rebel=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes, with gaming, the recorded audio is not great. Battlefield Bad Company 2 pushes its re-design of the audio architecture. If you can, try playing that! Also, amps usually seem to help the cause- I'm using a porto amp right now.

i have played bf: bc2, but not with the 515's. i will definatly play it with the 515's.

the thing that i find strange is that the closer i push the cans towars my ear, the better the quality gets. and after 20 hours of pink noise, i must say it's a different headphone all together! hopefully it keeps on improving...

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 13
To be honest, the HD515s are rather overpriced at the usual price. Sennheiser slapping 'gaming' on the label and charging extra just smacks of cynicism. Let's not forget - a few months ago HD555s could be had for £50 and Goldring DR150s for £30.

Having said that, £25 isn't bad. Hope they continue to improve.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 13
yes i agree. the gaming badge is just a badge, and a shiny gril. i also bought the cx 500 gaming on sale, which turned out to be the same as the normal cx500.

but it has improved a lot.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're running them through your stock onboard soundcard, that contributes too. Although, even imporiving your audio source wont improve the HD515's much.

no i have a dedicated sound card
biggrin.gif
sound blaster audiogy something. i know it aint that good, but much better than on board cards

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 13
Actually - some on-board cards are roughly on par with Audigys these days. It tends to be just on higher end motherboards though.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually - some on-board cards are roughly on par with Audigys these days. It tends to be just on higher end motherboards though.

well i use my zune 80 for the burning in process. i leave it on pink noise at %75 vol for hours. i just use it while im on my pc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back