Help selecting entry level iem's
Aug 12, 2007 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Markraft

New Head-Fier
I know what your thinking... "not another one of these threads..."
Anyways, I am going to be going to college in a few months and I need some good quality, ok isolation, nice sounding headphones. I listen to rock mostly, some talk radio, and a little hip hop. I have been using the JVC marshmallows for quite some time, but I would like to take a step up. I have been looking around and been able to narrowed it down to what I think (from things that I have read/seen on the internet) are the best choices for me. No particular order...

V-Moda Vibe
etymotic ER-6i
Shure e2c
ultimate ears super.fi3 studio

I know that this is largely preference, but I have never owned a pair of headphones over $30 Besides my PC headset (50 something, huge cans
3000smile.gif
). I am still kind of confused on the difference between canal phones and in ear monitors, if there is one.

If you think there are better options for me, please feel free to suggest them. Thanks

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 11
The Crossroads MylarOne X3 should easily sound better than any of those on the list. You can only order them from http://www.jaben.net/ . The build quality doesn't feel that great though. If you want something that feels sturdier, go for the ER6i. Excellent detail and clarity. Some folks think it's a bit bass shy, but I don't feel it's a major problem.

EDIT: IEMs go much deeper into the ear than canalphones. The MylarOne X3 and the Marshmallows you have count as canalphones. The ER6i is an IEM.

Aug 12, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 11
I'd vote for the ER-6i too out of those, although i hear the Super.fi 3 are pretty good also, but i cant vouch for them.

Another thing is, the Vibes will not provide much isolation comparted to the rest.

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks a lot for the replies, I am currently leaning towards the e2cs or Superfi.3s because while searching for stuff on them here on head-fi I read about issues with the ER-6is staying in while doing sports/running. I will be using them while jogging a few times a week and that is a large concern for me. I read that the Shure e2cs are pretty capable of staying in well, can anyone comment on the super.fi3s ability in that department? Thanks

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 11
If you get a good fit with the ER-6i I don't see how they could possibly slip out. They fit well into the ear and I have to "pull" to get them out. I called Etymotic and they sent me (gratis) an assortment of tips so I could get the right fit. The isolation is great.

Personally I can't compare the Ety's to others you mentioned. I can tell you that I have been very pleased with mine. Good luck and sorry about your wallet.

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 11
i have a pair of shure e2c's and i quite like them, they arent too popular here. but my advice wud be to go the UE especially since ur gon be on here, u might end up purchasing an amp and stuff like that, and the superfi are prob the better idea.

in terms of comfort shure is quite great and stays in ur ears and stuff, i havnt used the superfi so wudnt know.

thats my 2 cents

Aug 13, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 11
The er6i fits deeper into the ear canal than any of the other earphones you've listed, so they should be the least prone to falling out. Mine definitely don't go anywhere unless I pull them out, even when using the triple-flanges (foamies are even more stable). However, they might even be too isolating for jogging, depending on your location (i.e. if you need to listen for traffic). If this is the case, the Vibes would probably be better for you.

Aug 13, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #11 of 11
I would put the Crossroads X3 at the top of your list. Many head-fier agree that it is one of the best quality/price ratio (57$). You'll also have to buy better tips than the stock ones like Ultimate ears (9$ from Idealsound) otherwise you'll loose some bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back