Help! Rockbox kills iPod battery
Apr 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #31 of 33
I wanted to follow-up on this thread as I'm having the exact same problem with my newly Rockbox'd iPod 5.5 30 gb. If left alone in Rockbox, it plays FLAC files fine - but as soon as I scroll through the menus it drains the battery almost immediately and crashes the player. Upon reboot, Rockbox states that the battery is drained (right after a full charge), and I need to plug it in again in order to reboot.

When booting into the Apple OS, no issues whatsoever and more than 6 hours+ of playtime. 

I've searched online and over at Rockbox's forums and I can't seem to find a solution. I'd replace the battery if I thought it was that, but like I said, it works fine on the Apple OS... just crashes in Rockbox.

Did a battery replacement end up solving this issue?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #32 of 33
  I wanted to follow-up on this thread as I'm having the exact same problem with my newly Rockbox'd iPod 5.5 30 gb. If left alone in Rockbox, it plays FLAC files fine - but as soon as I scroll through the menus it drains the battery almost immediately and crashes the player. Upon reboot, Rockbox states that the battery is drained (right after a full charge), and I need to plug it in again in order to reboot.

When booting into the Apple OS, no issues whatsoever and more than 6 hours+ of playtime. 

I've searched online and over at Rockbox's forums and I can't seem to find a solution. I'd replace the battery if I thought it was that, but like I said, it works fine on the Apple OS... just crashes in Rockbox.

Did a battery replacement end up solving this issue?

Thank you in advance for the help.

hi

the 30 gig ipod 5.0 "slim" has 32mb cache so it accesses hard drive twice as often then the 64mb model and also has a smaller mah battery - its not ideal for lots of flac music

the 60gig and 80 gig "fat" ipod 5.5 has 64mb cache and a larger mah battery

but anyway, to trouble shoot this ...
-make sure you have the latest official rockbox firmware installed which right now is 3.13 dont install any developer builds.

- clear all settings ... when you turn on rockbox you see an apple without a back light then then back light comes on, quickly throw the hold switch as soon as the back light comes on with the apple not before or else it will go into apple ipod mode (to get out of apple mode remove hold switch hold middle button and menu button for 10 seconds)

-do not use any special While Playing Screens or any themes leave everything stock for now.

-do not turn on eq. each band you use drains more cpu

-do not max out brightness keep under 75%

-make disk spin down 5 seconds

-make screen fade out after 5 seconds

- go to settings/general settings/system/battery/charge during usb connection/force
(force mean charge at 500mah)

-pause the music and let player charge for at least 2 hours no matter what the screen says

now do your test and see how long the battery lasts you.

with the above setting you should get about 20 hours of play back with mp3s if its much less then change your battery
i saw they sell 900mah battery for your slim model i dont know if its a true 900mah though - china will say anything to get your cash lol

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #33 of 33
Great tips to extend the battery life, thank you!

I ended up replacing the battery on a hunch, and thankfully that solved all of my problems.

I've been enjoying hours and hours of FLAC goodness on the go ever since :)

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back