Help Rock Headphones
Mar 9, 2009 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gnr9292

New Head-Fier
I have a budget of $200 and I would like it for indoors (perferably open but doesn't really matter)

95%of my collection is rock/metal related
5% is ballads and jazz
figurative bands that define majority of my taste: King Crimson, Rush, Children of Bodom, within temptation, megadeth, the beatles, billy cobham, doors, jeff beck, little bit of power metal: Kamelot

I know you are automatically thinking grado sr225
however there are two problems to deciding grados

1. I am located Canada, even comprehending that the costs are higher in Canada. Grado unethically had to have outrageous prices for all grado products outside of U.S. they won't even ship outside of U.S.
and I don't have any personal interactions with people living in the U.S. and dont want to risk it by asking someone personally to send it.

2.Lack of Bass
I know its tight and accurate but
I am a Bass Head
o2smile.gif
(may be unusual for a rock fan)
(I don't want to tape mod it either)
I want a lot of quantity not too boomy
and it should be accurate and detailed

I am gonna play them unamped on a Zune 120gb

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 7
still Sr-225. Just wait for one to pop up on the fs forums and you can bypass their international sales rules. (which are not unethical, by the way. They don't jack up prices just to raise them. It is a question of finding international distributors and making sure that they have an acceptable mark up to make money. I am not saying that the actual mark ups are entirely necessary, but don't dismiss them as unethical without understnding the whole situation. Read the John grado interview sticky to find out more about why they do this.

Or you could buy ms-1s or ms-2s.

In relation to the bass issue, maybe try out/ consider AH-D2000s.

Mar 9, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 7
I'd say look for the audio technica ESW9.. its closed and portable but has great bass, sounds great unamped, already terminated to 1/8 jack and I love my ESW10JPN for metal (better but also twice as much)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back