Help required to make the best out of an audition
Apr 20, 2015 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

catspaw

500+ Head-Fier
Dear Head-fi Monsters,
I will be making an audition for a new HP this weekend (saturday, tops 4 hours) and I need some advices from more expirieneced listeners to be able to extract the best out of it.

The HPs that are at my disposal are(and taht I am interested in):

LCD-3 (high priority)
LCD-X (high priority)
LCD-2 (high priority)
Sennheiser HD600 (high priority)
Sennheiser HD700 (low priority)
Hifiman HE-560 (high priority)
Audezee EL-8 (low priority)
AKG Q701 (low priority)

Another day in another place I will be auditioning the HD800, and need a good guideline on how to make sure I can compare them from memory.
I know I will be using notes, different type of songs and ofc material that I know very well.

All will be tested with bifrost uber+asgard amp, with mostly game OST, games and a few songs separated into diferent rytm, pace, focus on frequencies and a few songs that mix as much of those togheter as possible to determine bass bleed to mids, transisions from bass to mids and highs.

I will be testing both high quality recordings as well as low quality (from a blind test I know that I can diferenciate 64kbps from 128 256 and 320, but I cannot differenciate 320 from lossless or wav (at least with the HIfiman HE-400).
So I guess this is more a question on how you think I can get to narrow my expirience in only those 4 hours. 
Over all, I can very soon realize if something is good for me (even if my brain is still working on getting used to it), but 4 hours is a very very short time for such a huge hp pool, so any input will be appriciated.

Kind Regards, Truly yours, and sorry about your wallet,
CatsPaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back