Help recommend some headphones meeting the following criteria
Nov 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mattlach

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Could use some help with picking my next set of cans.

BACKGROUND:
So for the last two years ago, I have been pretty happy with my 80Ω Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's.

At first they seemed overly bright and a bit sibilant, but once burned it (I didn't do a real burn in, just used them a lot) they settled in.

I've probably been under driving them for most of the time I've had them.   I recently got a Schiit Asgard amp to help with this.

Sounds are significantly improved, though now I am starting to detect a vibration in the set on certain bass frequencies. It doesn't sound like its in the recording (In other words, not coming from the amp) but rather that something is worn and loose and thus vibrating.  My guess is that I just damaged them somehow at some point in the last two years)

Tried clean the pads today, but they didn't come fully clean.  Looked up replacements, and they cost almost a third of what I paid for the headphones, so this might be as good a time as any to start thinking about replacements overall.

REQUIREMENTS
  1. Closed circumaural design  (I listen around other people and don't want to bother them, also hate the feel of superaural headphones)
  2. Must be able to be driven well by my Schiit Asgard  (I'd like to go up in impedance over the 80Ω cans, but not too much, or my amp may be insufficient.  I'm thinking 300Ω or less. (6moon review said the Asgard was able to drive their 300Ω HD800's well, but couldn't max them out.  This - however - was with a 1Vrms input.  I have a 2Vrms input, so I think 300Ω should be fine)
  3. Seeking mostly neutral units, with possible a slight lean towards the bass without sacrificing high frequency clarity.
  4. Budget is $350 or less.

What do you guys think will suit me?   I've read a lot of reviews, but I still have a hard time settling on anything.

Much obliged,
Matt

edit:
not used to wysiwyg forums, so I tagged the hell out of my post with BBcodes that didn't work :p

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 14
Neutral yet closed and must be more competent than your Beyer DT770 Pro's? Hmm, this is going
to be tough..

Shure 840? You won't like the bass on these much though.

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
Neutral yet closed and must be more competent than your Beyer DT770 Pro's? Hmm, this is going
to be tough..

Shure 840? You won't like the bass on these much though.

Yeah, I got the impression that for some reason closed headphones are not as common as open designs (why is that?  You'd think that both keeping noise in, and out would be a good thing?)

I was reading about the Denon AH-D7000's and thought I might have found what I was looking for...

...until I saw the - to me - ridiculous price :p

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
Yeah, I got the impression that for some reason closed headphones are not as common as open designs (why is that?  You'd think that both keeping noise in, and out would be a good thing?)

I was reading about the Denon AH-D7000's and thought I might have found what I was looking for...

...until I saw the - to me - ridiculous price :p

Passive noise isolation is a good thing with a closed design, unfortunately not at the expense of a nice, natural airy
sound which only an open design can reproduce.

Outside of Denon and Audio technica ~ look at the big players and the flagships - all open.

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 14
Hmm...

A bit above my budget, but Beyer's new T70's look petty decent, but once I climb up to the $500 level, I wonder what else is out there...

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Hmm...

A bit above my budget, but Beyer's new T70's look petty decent, but once I climb up to the $500 level, I wonder what else is out there...

Definitely worthy of an audition if you can find them at the store ~ I liked the T5p.

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Passive noise isolation is a good thing with a closed design, unfortunately not at the expense of a nice, natural airy
sound which only an open design can reproduce.

Outside of Denon and Audio technica ~ look at the big players and the flagships - all open.

Interesting.

Do the open designs provide any isolation at all?

My life doesn't really allow me access to any quiet listening areas (small house, kids, fans air conditioners, etc.)

Thanks again,
Matt

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Interesting.

Do the open designs provide any isolation at all?

My life doesn't really allow me access to any quiet listening areas (small house, kids, fans air conditioners, etc.)

Thanks again,
Matt

Not really, there are varying degrees ~ I use my Grado SR80i's in an office environment from time to time and get away with it on lowish volume.

The opposite of the coin would be a big can like the LCD-2, K702, K601 or HD800 that can act as a background speaker with a bit of volume 
smile.gif

It's a huge trade off in this hobby ~ open cans rule supreme but they can throw up some pragmatic hurdles in relation to disturbing others.

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 14
I also have a similar scenario....... I am looking to buy my first pair of overhead headphones. People told me how awesom Beats were, which i took their advice and looked to buy them. That was until i read some reviews, especially from ThatSnazzyIphoneGuy on youtube.
Do you guys have any headphone suggestions that

Are Less than $275.00
Have a good but not overpowering bass
Do NOT Leak sound
Have some form of Noise Cancelation.
And Look Somewhat Cool

I am not looking for headphones that are for  DJ's or  hook up to a computer. I just want headphones that i can take anywhere......car, house, Wal-Mart where ever i want and plug into my smartphone and play.... i also like the feature on the Beats where you could put them around your neck and play them (and not have them fold up on you)
                                                                                                                                                                                                          THANKS,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                           NDME

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
I also have a similar scenario....... I am looking to buy my first pair of overhead headphones. People told me how awesom Beats were, which i took their advice and looked to buy them. That was until i read some reviews, especially from ThatSnazzyIphoneGuy on youtube.

Are Less than $275.00
Do NOT Leak sound
And Look Somewhat Cool

I am not looking for headphones that are for  DJ's or  hook up to a computer. I just want headphones that i can take anywhere......car, house, Wal-Mart where ever i want and plug into my smartphone and play.... i also like the feature on the Beats where you could put them around your neck and play them (and not have them fold up on you)
                                                                                                                                                                                                          THANKS,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                           NDME

Save up for these, they're one of the best noise cancellers on the market that actually sound good.

Sennheiser PXC310 ~ they're not cheap, but you get what you for if you need sound quality and active noise cancelling

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:

Are Less than $275.00
Do NOT Leak sound
And Look Somewhat Cool

THANKS,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                           NDME

You are looking for something with a low impedance.

Beyerdynamics P series are made especially for people with your needs.

The T50 P is right in your price range too, and gets good reviews.

You might also consider the B&W P5's.

Avoid the Beats like the plague.   They charge lots of money for Dre's name, but are really ****ty headphones.  About the only thing they are good for is to play bass loud.

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 14
Try the D2000. It's often found for around $220 and it's sounds really impressive with the Asgard. Probably my favorite combination with that amp along with the HD-650.
It's bass isn't that bloated as long as you use a neutral source.

IMO it's not worth $350 though. $250 max.

AKG K240 Studio is also a steal for what you get. Sounds better than the usual $100 headphone. It's neutral with a slight bass boost. It is semi-open but doesn't leak much at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back