Help recommend some faster classical
Feb 26, 2006 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

happyangryhappy

100+ Head-Fier
I am beginning to listen to more classical music but don't know what to look for. I really like the faster more powerful works like Carmina Burana by Orff and Four seasons by Vivaldi, but really don't know what else there is. What are some other classical works that are full of energy and enthusiastic? Thanks.

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyangryhappy
I am beginning to listen to more classical music but don't know what to look for. I really like the faster more powerful works like Carmina Burana by Orff and Four seasons by Vivaldi, but really don't know what else there is. What are some other classical works that are full of energy and enthusiastic? Thanks.

Hmmm - I think it depends on who is playing them. I can recommend anything by Thomas Hengelbrock. He usually takes on a faster tempo than most and as a result, his interpretations are much more energetic and enthusiastic.

Try the following:

RCA Living Stereo Sampler - this includes samples from the famous series and most of them are great sounding and fast and lively.

Feb 26, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 12
I've found a lot of the upbeat stuff I like to be from opera's and ballets.
It's the old standard stuff:

Eugen onegin waltz-Tchaikovsky
Sabre Dance- Gayane -Aram Khachaturian
The Can Can -Orpheus in the Underworld- Offenbach
Bolero- Ravel (it gets there)
Prelude- Carmen- Bizet

Also, the Divertissements from the Nutcracker, especiallly the Chinese Dance, Love that Chinese Dance. Why can't it be longer damn it!!

Others:
Liszt- Hungarian Rhapsody No.2
Beethoven - Symphony No.9 (Presto)
Strauss- Thunder And Lightning Polka

Sam

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 12
A disc of Wagner orchestral excerpts would probably serve your purposes. In fact, Karl Böhm's "The Best of the Ring" highlights set from his Bayreuth Ring has a lot of big moments.

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 12
If you want fast, the famous redhead priest (Vivaldi) has many concertos (flute, cello, mandoline...) that have allegros that are fast and beautiful. A lot of fun.

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf
If you want fast, the famous redhead priest (Vivaldi) has many concertos (flute, cello, mandoline...) that have allegros that are fast and beautiful. A lot of fun.

Or Bach and Telemann played by such groups as Musica Antiqua Koln.
The recent Bach concerto recordings from the group Cafe Zimmermann
on the French Alpha label are also full of brisk energies and articulate
phrasings.

Feb 26, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 12
Wow! Thanks alot. I ordered 5 cd's (Bartok, Wagner, Dvorak, Stravinsky and Tchaikovsky). Probably like many I get in ruts of listening to the same music again and again, but the other night I listened to Four seasons by Vivaldi and was amazed how beautiful it was. Talk about an eargasm
icon10.gif
I am excited to try more titles. Thanks again for your recomendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back